1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

2. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

I finally bit the bullet and went for the Zotac 3090 with an EK block. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. Was it worth the money over the 3080? Of course not. But I'm impatient and I didn't fancy waiting another 3-4 months for a 3080 to arrive.

NickCPC likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is becoming increasingly tempting I will admit...

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

They were approaching - approaching, mind you - reasonable here pre-RTX 3000 release. Now a 2080Ti is a similar price to a 3090... and the 3090 is actually easier to find! Absolute insanity. nVidia really ballsed this launch up in glorious fashion.

Not that the AMD 6800/6900 launch has been a whole lot better.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Not for them. They are selling out as soon as they hit the shelves, allowing people more time to save and the possibility of buying a higher tier card when they finally do get to purchase.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

At the rate cards are dribbling into dealers, I should have enough for a 4090 by the time I can actually get a card!

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They've done a Fermi. Stopped making cards and then there's this big barren patch between product. They ceased production of the 200 series 9 months before you could get a 400 series card ffs.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Well, I promised myself I wouldn't get a card this generation - but tomorrow I retire (well, repurpose) my 1080ti and will be putting a MSI Suprim 3070 in the PC - I dropped from 4k to 1440p earlier in the year, so am hoping I won't miss the VRAM.

11. Andre_B

Andre_B Minimodder

I just came across 3 x 3070 in stock at Insight

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it might be useful to someone here.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Not any more they aren't! Stock really appears to be short doesn't it.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You have to be really quick with Currys as well.
    Twice this morning, I had a 3080 in my basket that disappeared before I could complete checkout! :wallbash:

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Maybe a holistic take on the situation would be to simply forget the 3000 series exists for a bit, develop a fascination for gardening or wood turning or something, and 'rediscover' PC gaming in 4 months' time...

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looking at the history you'll have 5-10 minutess to grab one when stock comes in!

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Wow. Demand high, supply really low, I guess.

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Curry's had 3080's in stock for all of 20 minutes and I just missed it! Probably for the best a Curry's RMA is horrible!!!

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know the FE looks nice, but every single AIB card looks fugly and oversized.

IanW and wyx087 like this.
  20. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

And they're still there, but probably for good reason. I ordered once from them in June 2010. They're more of a business to business retailer (as shown by their front and centre ex-VAT pricing). After ordering I reveived a follow-up email stating that they weren't going to charge my card without ID verification. Partly because I didn't have enough to prove who I was and mainly because I felt it was an overreach (they wanted 2 of utility bills, bank statements, tax bill and driving licence). They didn't accept passports so I cancelled the order as not being a homeowner at the time, I could only offer my driving licence and a bank statement which then as now didn't sit well with me. At least GDPR rules should have changed that.

Even older cards are affected. I sold my Asus Strix GTX 970 in April 2019 for £100 which was by far best case scenario, £80 was about the median average sale price on eBay at the time so was rather please with that. £100 now appears to be the median sale price and one went for £147 - for a 6 year old card!

It's almost as bad as Nintendo releasing games with a finite time of sale and announcing in advance that it will only be available for 3-6 months before permanent delisting (though at least store based purchases won't be limited by manufacturing). I just feel that intentionally creating demand by limiting supply is probably the cause, even though I don't see how Nvidia or AMD actually benefit, as they won't get a cut of the scalper sale price

boiled_elephant likes this.