1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: i-spider |stacker mod | 11-4: up and running (again)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 19 Aug 2004.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax What's a Dremel?

totally awesome :rock:

2. Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero What's a Dremel?

hi,

is the lightning green or is it just the digicam? it looks like the first part of the lightning is green then it´s going to blue..??

Edit: Are you going to mount some plexi under the second "i-point"?? you should do that, because only an "i-point" looks a little bit strange. I hope you know what i mean...

Last edited: 16 Aug 2005
  3. Firefox90

Firefox90 What's a Dremel?

Damn man, that's kick ass. I love the idea for the front switches/lights. Very innovative, yet very sweet looking. This is a wicked mod and makes me want a Stacker. I like the contrast between the white and blue as well.

4. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :)
    It's very deep blue, but the digicam can't handle that ;) I think because it's UV reactive blue.

Hmm, sorry but i don't understand the "i".

5. Sub-Zero

hmmm look at your pic:

[​IMG]

The two windows you made are looking like a big "i" !!!!! like "i" for "i-spider"
    Or it´s just fortuitousness????

And on the other side of your case y only have an "i-point".

Look:

[​IMG]

I hope it´s comprehensible this time.

6. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

OK, that's clear to me :)
    Well on the right side there will be that robot looking spider, so if i would make some kind of window on that side to make that 'i' it would almost be covered with the spider his legs and body.

7. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

hi, love your work, attention to detail is excellent. Couple of questions: when you talk about plexi do you mean acrylic plastic or are you really talking about plexiglass. We can get plastic sheets here that would do the job and certainly look like your plexi, but if it is plexiglass that would be really expensive.
    Can't think of what my other question was. Pretty tired after reading through the whole post from the beginning. Well done again on all your work.

8. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

hehe, thanks :)

I'm using acrylic panels from a.c. ryan
    I think in the netherlands we used to say plexiglass as a general word for every plastic witch is clear (PMMA, acryl, lexan, ....)

Well, when you can remember your question, feel free to post it.

9. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

update

Finaly a new update ;) I've made a test/prototype of a spider leg. Check it out:

[​IMG]

I like the fake air cilinder below, i should find some lego air tube to make it even more realistic. I've polished the moving part, i think i should paint the lower part black of it. The legs themselves look good with the brushed look i think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the dangerous looking saw. I'ts even dangerous! That's why i decided to mount it on the upper leg, to prevent making damage with those sharp teeth. It's been cut out a 7meters long RVS saw (those rotating ones)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now i've finished one i can start thinking about the exact dimensions, work some ideas out (some would love to see the spider moving) and that kind of stuff.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Moving? Naw, don't do this. Way to childish imho. This is looking great so far, a moving spider would destroy it.

11. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Me, for example :D :D

12. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

I'ts not gonna walk (the spider is mounted on the sidepanel) But i mean mounting a small servo in the body that when you press a button some legs will go up and down. When you don't push the button you won't see it at all.

13. Sub-Zero

I agree, it would be to childish! but it looks good!

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

not sure it'd be childish - it all depends on how smoothly it could move.
    and it could garner points in a compo.

15. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

i dont understand how u can even think it to be " childish ", its just setting the case 's theme, a 3d moving logo as such.
    Its just like the plently of other cases out there that have moving parts, and excessive air brush and clay work.
    I think go for it, if the plans good, and u think u can do it, and u want it, GO FOR IT !!!

I personally liek the idea :]

16. Sub-Zero

I personally think everbody has an own position to this! I like his work very very much :thumb: , but the spider isn´t my taste, that´s all.(i don´t want to make his mod run down! Never, because he inspires me and i find all other stuff great!!)

17. perplekks45

This project is awesome as everybody will agree.
    But a moving spider wouldn't fit the clean look of it in my eyes. There are a lot of clean lines and classy looking parts. A moving spider ain't that classy, is it? ;)

18. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

So the problem is not the moving spider... is the Spider itself? Because anything you put on that tower break the clean lines, isn't?

I think that if Ferry like the spider and he can do that, go ahead with the eight legged bug.

19. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

When it's not moving it's just a spider, turned into a robot style. Well, i don't know if it would look good either. So feel free to post your opinion about it. Ienjoy reading comments. Actually there's only 1 way to find out... :dremel:

Otherwise i think it's a finishing touch to the spider or sci-fi look. It's more for showing purposes, i can also add it next to the case, because it would make the case about 15cm more in width. So i guess i'm not gonna add it when it's on my room because he case should stand with the right side (where the spider is) next to a wall.

20. perplekks45

Okay.
    So in my opinion the idea with placing it next to the case sounds quite nice... Put it on a base that fits the cases's style.
    And I didn't mean I did not like the spider at all, I just don't like the idea with moving legs.