1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Red HL2 [UPDATED DEC 24 - 100% COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrWillyWonka, 5 Aug 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot, now ive got drool all over my shirt! its coming along quite nicely. one question though, who makes that smaller computers case? i like it, its clean and sleek.

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I was repairing it for my friends family - paid me £100, :rock: , but I remember it being an Advent computer (surprisingly powerful with a 3.8GHz P4, an x800 graphics card and 2 gigs of RAM). Its got AIRXL on its side. You could try google but its probably made by Advent (Which I think is part of the PCWorld group so you might not find much).

3. MrWillyWonka

I have chosen design 3 and the JPEG is 50MB!!! However PolyGFX cannot do international orders until the end of August, so that'll have to wait. I've ordered some more stuff, so hopefully I'll have them ready for 2 weeks time.

I will be on holiday for the next two weeks. So won't be online, but feel free to comment!

4. MrWillyWonka

Ok, yes I'm on holiday, but need some advice!

I want the plastics I need to be ready for when I get back to England however I can't seem to find good prices for them, so where can I get:

18" x 18.5" clear 5mm arcylic - I can get a huge sheet for £15 at B&Q though

and

14" x 21" black 5mm arcylic - the cheapest quote I got was £55, including a 40% discount cos my dad works at Southampton City Council who has a contract with them

Thanks.

5. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Try local industrial estates for a small plastics business. I got a window sized clear piece and a front panel sized smoked piece for £3.

6. das_mod

das_mod What's a Dremel?

looks like is going to end up looking like this one

[​IMG]

:naughty:

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

This is lookin good, dont no bout acrylic, have you considered Plexi?
    Oww my hand still hurts dont try this at home.
    You can order the Skin now from PolyGFX its teh end of teh month :rock:
    Lookin forward to seeing it on.

8. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

9. MrWillyWonka

I have decided on design 3 anyway, I have done some modding so far, and hopefully I can get my three holes at the top cut in a few hours time, my dad forgot to bring the holesaw home yesterday :(.

The LCD and car adaptor works fine, which I'm pleased about, got some photos which I will put up later tonight, I can't get the window cut until I get the caseskin sorted, and the guy said international orders will be available at the end of august, thats today, so I'm waiting for the site to be up again, its been down for about 3 weeks!

As for the plexi, clear plexi is cheap at B&Q. Black is a nightmare, the cheapest I've found is £55, most expensive is £800 :jawdrop:

But I may have found a cheap supplier, waiting for a reply from them! If anybody has got a small sheet of black plexi I can buy (or have :)), I'll be grateful!

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Your case skin has inspired me to get one when I next update my case - though as you say their site is down. If you end up ordering it post back and inform us - I'll be watching this progress, very nice plan and kinda unique.

11. MrWillyWonka

Finally, let the modding begin!

So after a couple of foriegn holidays and two setbacks, I've finally started the first stage of the modding.

I was having problems finding plexi at a reasonable price and now found a site here and should recieve my plastics tomorrow!

I can't order the case skin for another 2 weeks (according to the guy at PolyGFX) so thats a setback here.

[​IMG]
    Spending hours doing up the skin design on photoshop

[​IMG]
    The LCD

[​IMG]
    W00t, it works - just checking :)

[​IMG]
    Tools and instructions

[​IMG]
    Ooops, my finger slipped, warrenty viod :rock:

[​IMG]
    Wiring is a nightmare, but I tested the LCD along with the car adaptor mod on my parents computer (modded too!) and I'm please to say it works!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of the kit

[​IMG]
    Wiring up my fan so that I can control the LEDs with a switch without affecting the fans, had'nt anything else to do as I didn't have the powertools for the cutting of the case!

[​IMG]
    My dad cutting one of the complicated holes for me, he is a carpenter so has a lot more experience than me! Due to the design of the case there was a bit of damage to the metal:
    [​IMG]
    But you won't see that when the caseskin is on

[​IMG]
    Well, I think we did a good job with the holes
    [​IMG]
    Metal Remains. RIP

[​IMG]
    Cut the dome thingy that comes with the case, a good job on that too

[​IMG]
    This shows the perfect alignment of the holes for the fan grill, and the supports for the dome thingy, cool!

A psu mod tomorrow. Just realised a dilemma though, the PSU fan will be fixed onto the case (under the dome thingy) with the screws coming down from the top. However the screws to hold the dome thingy in place is under the top of the case, right where the PSU is. So effectively, I can't screw in the dome thingy and the PSU fan at the same time :S

More updates tomorow.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2005
  12. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Can you attach the dome thingy via another method - double sided tape or something?

13. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

For the plastic, are you friendly with anyone at a local school? The technology technician would know exactly where to go, if they didn't have the stuff there already.

14. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Just to let you know, I think your case would look better if you didnt cut a jagged edge for the side window, It looks alot more proffesional if you do a nice square or atleast smooth round clean cut, I think jagged shapes make it look a bit cheesy.

15. Graffix

Graffix What's a Dremel?

sweeet

16. MrWillyWonka

I've changed the window design anyway, it is going to be straight edges, except for the place where that guy it, the window will go around him.

And could a mod put this into project logs?

EDIT: I will change the 3D designs for the new skin!

17. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

very nice willy... :thumb: top stuff...lucky that ur dad is giving you a hand....

i was gonna order the ocz psu that you have but decided against it as it had lights....but still a good psu tho...man seems like ur case is gonna light up like a christmass tree!

18. MrWillyWonka

I'm planning to mod the PSU and change the fans to the red ones I have. Cut off the fan controller and connect that fan to another 2, with a switch so that I can turn off the LEDs. Noise doesn't bother me at night, but light does!

Its a nice PSU with plenty of modular connectors and its made out of titanium!

Thread here for the LED switches, still waiting a reply to see if my plan is right!

19. koola

koola Minimodder

Uber sweet design. Look forward to more progress :D

20. MrWillyWonka

Because I only have 2 pci slots - the mobo is the DFI lanparty PCI-e version, I will have wirelessness internal to save USB space and not require the use of a PCI expansion. So I have a plan:

[​IMG]

I am doubtful that three wireless devices (Wi-fi, bluetooth and IR for my kb & mouse) on one hub would have enough power, this is why I am going to mod the hub power and connect it to the 5V PSU supply. Would this be enough power?

The hub is this one, specs here (I assume they are the same specs).

Last edited: 15 Sep 2005