1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Red HL2 [UPDATED DEC 24 - 100% COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrWillyWonka, 5 Aug 2005.

1. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

if u overlayed 2 ontop of 3 so u get the logos i would like it best also

2. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Regarding the usb hub - I am about to do this, but be aware that usb's run on -5v, not +5v, so make sure you use the molex correctly. Should be a relativley easy mod though.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If you look at the blowholes I've created, it would be useless to do so as the logo would be cut out!

4. MrWillyWonka

I assume -5 uses the female molex connector right?

5. MrWillyWonka

Sorry for the triple post!

My electronics sorted, it was simplier than I thought it would be, but as I am a completely electronics n00b this was a major sucess for me!

[​IMG]
    The setup

[​IMG]
    LEDs on
    [​IMG]
    LEDs off

Bascially its three fans with LEDs that are controlled on and off using one switch. See this thread for more info. Now its time to put these fans into the PSU. More updates tonight.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2005
  6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

MrWillyWonka - PM a mod and ask them if they'll move it to project logs for you. They kindly moved mine the other day over there.

For an electronics 'n00b' you've got a nice setup there!

7. MrWillyWonka

Another Update

Right, another update for you!

I will probably make a new thread using the forum's new project logs thingy where just the logs are posted, thats for later though!

So, after all the cutting there were plenty of metal shards all over the case,it obviously isn't good for components (and looks!) cleaning it with a cloth scratched the case, so there was only one solution...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spraying it with water cleared it up, and aluminium doesn't rust, so it is ok to do so

[​IMG]
    The PSU

[​IMG]
    Cover off

[​IMG]
    And snip to the old fan

[​IMG]
    The new connectors
    [​IMG]
    And ta da! A terrifying job really trying not to damage the PSU

[​IMG]
    This is the wire to control the LEDS, I felt that using the molex to power the fan was risky, so I connected it using the wires from the old fan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The case with the fans in, looks nice

Unfortunatly the LEDS cut off, I thought I had blown them but apparently I pulled the wires too hard and the connectors came off, so I'll be putting in longer wires the final time I fit in the fans and PSU.

And finally, my plexi arrives!, wasn't due to arrive until tomorrow morning! Luckily the garage was open, as I wasn't in, the delivery guy put it in the garage!

[​IMG]
    The plexis
    [​IMG]
    I got the clear plexi earlier and put it in the conservatory, bad idea as the protective covering seem to have shrunk by about 20cm :eeek:
    [​IMG]
    Wow, nice and shiney!

8. MrWillyWonka

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/glenc911/New Case Mod/Log Pics/Log81.jpg
    Putting in the components so I know how big the plexi parts needs to be

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cutting

[​IMG]
    Parts

[​IMG]
    W00t, it fits!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More measuring and cutting (my dad did the complicated bit)

[​IMG]
    The part to go around the PSone, LCD screen, very neat I must say.

[​IMG]
    Lots of filing later...

[​IMG]
    And w00t again!
    [​IMG]
    Lots of filing of the largest plexi bit, I will be drilling and cutting the holes tomorrow for the hidden slot drives, fan holes and switch mounts

[​IMG]
    I also cut out another piece of plexi, this will hide the wires for the switches. Another above will hide the board for the LCD

[​IMG]
    The stuff I cut today

[​IMG]
    The underside of the dome thingy needs to be covered
    [​IMG]
    Using a toilet pipe, I surely hope I hasn't been used.

[​IMG]
    From this

[​IMG]
    To this, it was very hard to cut due to the roundness, and with plenty of vibration, I got there!

[​IMG]
    And I get this! My dad is going to bring home some bondo so that I can smoothen this out

[​IMG]

The leftover plexi. I will be selling this later as well as the remaining clear acrylic and the blue 120mm fan that I took out of the PSU. If anyone want to buy them, give me a shout.

More updates tomorrow. :)

Wonka

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

class so far wonka :). How much was that plexi you're using? (the black stuff)

10. MrWillyWonka

£25 including postage from CA supply for 3x1000x750mm.

11. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Looking good so far, this is one that I'll be following :)

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

impressive pricing. i wish somebody was that cheap out here.

13. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

well my willy if that is your real name? your psone lcd will look alot like mine, well exactly like mine except i used a psu cover so my bracket which meant the top stacker accent peice had to be trimmed but i must say it will look awsome when your done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. MrWillyWonka

Wow, it will be similar, not sure what you are saying about the brackets etc. But the psone board will be going under that black thing with "coolermaster" on it. And I won't be using screws to hold the plexi in place. I agree, it looks nice!

15. Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero What's a Dremel?

an other stacker mod, nice to see. good work...

16. MrWillyWonka

A little update, whilst doodling some blocks and round things, I had a brainwave...

It started when I looked at the case and realised that the front fan needed to be moved down a bay, otherwise it wouldn't look very proportional. This meant that I had a 5.25" bay free above, so after making this thread over a year ago, I decided to make a motorised draw, because I will have some available space underneat, I can put a motor there. My simple plan:

[​IMG]

Basically, the drive sits on top of the rail which will move in accordance to the motor. Should work shouldn't it? So, more electrical features here, again, I will be using an old 5.25" cd drive casing. It is 20cm long so could I have some advice on what motor and what sized gear I would need? The motor will have to be able to move backwards and forwards. Will probably put this into the electronics forum too.

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Awesome work Wonka, love it :D

18. MrWillyWonka

So after cutting the toilet pipe to the right size, it was time to put it together, with the trusty, superglue!

[​IMG]
    The cut toilet pipe and superglue

[​IMG]
    This is what it should look like when its finished (minus the tape)

[​IMG]
    As you can see, there is a little gap here, pushing the plastic up simply dislocates the plastic on the other side, nothing a bit of Bondo won't fix!

[​IMG]
    Le Bondo, its actually wood filler my dad brought home, nonetheless it works excellently on plastic
    [​IMG]
    Now to leave it to dry

Now, the PSU will be fitted in a way that the PSU fan will be aligned with the hole in the case. However there seems to be a rivet in the way of doing so.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see at the top

[​IMG]
    So, snip snip with some pliers, and this comes off, the rivet itself is still there, just trimmed
    [​IMG]
    As the PSU will not be mounted in the default place in the case, I have created a backplate to hide the gap around the PSU

[​IMG]
    Which fits nicely :)

Today...

[​IMG]
    All this for £4.68. A bargain I must say. The CD-rom drive comes from the dump, I just need the motor and mechanism from this for the mechanical draw. The washers are to rise the PSU off the metal rack by 1cm, and should reduce vibration to the case. Some black and red electrical tape (50p, w00t!) and supe 60p superglue to glue to some plastic together - I bought too much really...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The insides of the CD-Rom drive

[​IMG]
    And it works :)
    [​IMG]
    I just need the rail that moves the tray

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So snip snip!

[​IMG]
    Washers

[​IMG]
    + Superglue (which got stuck to my hand in this pic, which I had to prise off very carefully)
    [​IMG]
    = Standoffs!

19. MrWillyWonka

[​IMG]
    The bare mechanism of the CD-rom, however the circuit board is a damn nusience and too big, so I've rethunk (is that a word?) my plan and need some help in this thread on how to operate the motor in two directions without the circuit board and just the switch. Help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Stuck the rail to the plastic base (which will become a draw). The gluing is a bit messy, but I will file and smoothen that out, then spray it black later.

So after my mouth is still flaming after a super hot Vindaloo and catching countless Daddy Long Legs that seem to somehow got into our conservatory I'm cutting...

[​IMG]
    A bit of cutting, this is the riser for the switches and USB/audio jacks, just to make the case look a bit nicer.

[​IMG]
    Cutting the plexi for the fan hole

[​IMG]
    Perfect!

[​IMG]
    This was ripped out of the case when I got it, and will be using it as a mesh for the front of the case

[​IMG]
    Flattened it out with a hammer
    [​IMG]
    And hammered it to fit my hole. It is not complete, I will make it fit better later
    [​IMG]
    Looks good I think. The hole doesn't look centre in this pic, but it is really
    [​IMG]
    W00t, more parcels!

[​IMG]
    My 2x512MB Ballistix RAM, nice! The other parcel was my netear 108mbps USB wireless card.

More updates tomorrow!

The polyGFX site is still down, so the case skin won't be done for a while, :waah:. On a bright side, my slot Dual Layer DVD-RW drive should be arriving tomorrow, then I can complete my plexi cuts and finally mount the PSOne LCD!

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Woka...your workmanship is outstanding :thumb: Keep it up dude :hip: