1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project] Umbrella

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Suto, 4 May 2010.

1. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Worklog

Hello everyone, I’ve been reading through these Forums for quite some time now, and would finally like to share my project “Umbrella” with you. The project contains the equipping of my Computer with a Liquid Cooling system as well as modifications to the case. It is not done yet and still “growing” so I’ll be updating this post step by step. One more thing before I start, please excuse my English as I am no native English speaker.

Goals]
    - Achieving the maximum over-clocking performance, cooling and quietness through liquid cooling.
    - Modify the case to get an individual look.
    - Sleeving of the cables and hoses
    - . . .

Hardware
    - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
    - G.Skill 6GB Kit RipJaws DDR3-2000
    - Intel Core i7 930
    - Powercolor HD 5870 LCS
    - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
    - Samsung EcoGreen 2TB
    - Intel SSD X25M Postville 80GB
    - ASUS Xonar DX
    - Enermax Modu87+ 600W

Liquid cooled components:
    - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 @ MIPS Fusionblock
    - Intel Core i7 930 @ HK 3.0 LC
    - ATI HD 5870 LCS @ EK FC5870

[​IMG]

I’ve been inspired by the well known computer game and movie franchise “Resident Evil”, especially the “Umbrella Corporation”. It’s my goal to add distinctive “Umbrella” Signatures and keep the clean look intact. (Except of maybe some bloody zombie traces) ;)

At first the plan was to cool the system by common air cooling, but since I know myself and will try to get every last bit of performance out of my hardware, I decided to take liquid cooling into consideration. I then started to absorb all the information about liquid cooling I could find in the internet.

The advantages are obvious:
    The heat can quickly be transported away from the hardware and can be dispensed on a big area with fresh air. Perfect for this task are big and slow running fans, which promise quiet running and eliminate the sound of high speed CPU or GPU Fans.

The risks:
    Be calm, there is no T-Virus involved here ;) - but still, by faulty installation it is possible that water leaks out of the system and in the worst case causes damage the hardware. Additionally the weight increases and it can be more complicated to go to the next LAN-Party (in case one uses an external radiator). Also the warranty loss might be an issue to some.

While thinking about the pros and cons I started with the first sketches.

[​IMG]

Which were still based on common air cooling, that’s why I decided to use a rather small case, the “Lian Li PC A05b”.
    For more airflow I planned to place an additional 120mm fan into the top of the case, as well as additional ventilation holes in the front. (refer to pic. 2 Sketches). The clou was to use the parts, which were cut out of the top, to cover (a little bit elevated) the additional ventilation holes in the front.
    The shape of the window is inspired by a screenshot from the “Resident Evil 5” game, and would’ve been cut out by water cutting.
    As it was becoming clearer that I will switch to liquid cooling, I drew plans for a possible hole in the top which was big enough to mount a 420mm radiator beneath it.
    After long measuring it became clear: there is too little space in the case to accept a big internal liquid cooling system, and I did not want to go with an external radiator setting.
    So goodbye “Lian Li A05b”!

[​IMG]

Since I like “Lian Li”s products a lot i decided to use the “Lian Li Armorbox - P50”. The stock version of this case allows easy installation of two 280mm radiators so I won’t need to change anything regarding the ventilation and can concentrate completely on the design.
    The shape of the old window didn’t seem to fit very well to this case, that’s why I drew a new one which would show more from the main board and less from uninteresting parts (like the PSU). I'm not sure yet - if I will use only the “Umbrella”-logo or the logo together with the shape of Alice (like in the picture above).
    I am planning to replace the drive bay covers with one big mesh, somehow bended into shape. I’m not sure yet how to do that and where to place my DVD/BR-rom.
    I ordered the hardware just yesterday and want to continue planning once I have the case in my hands.

[​IMG]

Regarding the Liquid Cooling I asked myself the following question:

1. Which components have to be cooled?
    2. How much cooling power is required?
    3. How to store the liquid cooling system completely inside the case?

To 1: The things that are to be liquid cooled are the CPU (over clocked), the graphics card (over clocked) as well as the complete main board. RAM modules and HDD do not need to be cooled as there will be enough airflow in the case from the radiators mounted inside.

To 2: Since the system will be over clocked permanently and should still be quiet during summer time, I decide to use two 280mm radiators for the “P50”. I was thinking about how to fit one 420mm radiator and one 120mm radiator into the “A05b” but came to the conclusion that it would require extreme modifications to the case just to somehow squeeze it in there, yet again I was happy to have decided for the “P50” instead.

To 3: The reason why I decided for the “P50” was the pre-installed two 140mm fans in the top of the case which can be upgraded with a large 280mm “Magicool Slim” radiator easily. Into the front drive bays I can even fit a larger “Phobya G-Charger”, whilst relinquishing about 7 drive bays. The pre-installed “Lian Li” fans will be replaced with better “Phobya” 140mm fans which run quieter and are water proof (just in case) ;). For better looks ill add in a black nickel-plated reservoir and a, also nickel plated, Laing top, both from “Phobya”.

I found all the necessary equipment for my liquid cooling system at Aquatuning. Now I have to wait for all the hardware to be delivered to my doorsteps before I continue the planning and realization.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I start with the top mounted magicool slim radiator, it fits perfectly under the hood of the case!
    To get the tubing/fittings through i need to dremel a hole, big enough to accept the 16/10 screw on fittings i want to use.
    After that i need to do some more minor filing/drilling in 4 places to allow me to screw the 140mm fans onto the radiator from below - fixing everything to the case.

[​IMG]

Now, the second, bigger radiator. The Phobya G-changer, which turns out to be quite opulent with its measures of 338x145x60mm.

To fit him into the front drive bays i had to remove 4 drive holding fixtures [1], which i removed using a dremel and circular saw [2].

It now fits in the bottom, but Lian Li attached three drive bay holding clamps to the top 3 drive bays, the third one of these is in my way. They can simply be opened completely and pushed out [3].

To fix the Radiator to the Case i went to the next hardware store and bought a 15x15mm aluminum sectional strip [4]. I cut em in two and drilled holes into them which allwed me to screw them onto the radiator. [5]

Finally i attached two Phobya Nano G-14 onto the radiator and screwed the package into the case [6], fits like a charm!

[​IMG]

The next steps will be the work on the case and a first test-assembly of all the components.

I’m always happy about comments and constructive criticism!

Best greetings from Germany!

Special thanks to
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For the friendly support and the good cooperation.​

Last edited: 3 Jun 2010
  2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Moved your Project Log to Modding until you have pics of the project going :)

3. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

Alright thank you! I'll keep in touch!

4. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

this is going to be a good build mate good luck.

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

looks good!!

6. DRC™

DRC™ What's a Dremel?

Big fan of Resident Evil :D Can't wait to see how this goes. :jawdrop:

7. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

This look amazing! I'll be following.

8. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

My final shopping cart at Aquatuning is now ready as well and its contents hopefully on their way to me soon :)

Shopping Cart

9. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

Woahh that looks mental! Keep us updated. ;-)

10. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

While waiting for all parts to be delivered i went on thinking a little more about the window and how to realize this effect:

[​IMG]

The idea is based on placing LED stripes on the edges of transparent acrylic glass and sandcast parts of the glass to illuminate some areas. From outside the case i want the thin frame around the whole logo and the four thin frames around the Umbrella plates to be red, and from the inside (not directly visible) i want the light to leave beneath the four metal plates of the Logo to illuminate the interior of the case.

[​IMG]

Depending on how bright those stripes turn out to be i could install 2 or 4 Flexlights on the edges of the glass.

11. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Another Resident Evil fan reporting in :D Can't wait to see how this mod turns out! :)

12. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Sooo, I’m sorry it's been taking this long, but i have some other urgent work to do as well. These are the first pictures of the things I ordered.
    Pictures of the assembly etc. will follow shortly!!

Last edited: 1 Jun 2010
  13. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I start with the top mounted magicool slim radiator, it fits perfectly under the hood of the case!
    To get the tubing/fittings through i need to dremel a hole, big enough to accept the 16/10 screw on fittings i want to use.
    After that i need to do some more minor filing/drilling in 4 places to allow me to screw the 140mm fans onto the radiator from below - fixing everything to the case.

14. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Nice concept and I really love that picture kinda thing worklog, but it would have been better imo if you could post one picture after another and explain the process like I drilled that, I cut this etc.
    I will wait for more modding! Keep us updated! :)

15. Suto

Suto What's a Dremel?

Hi and thanks :)

i actually thought about numbering the pictures and writing like 1 sentence to each of them. But i assumed that like this, its pretty clear what picture to look at when reading the text. Is it not?

16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Like the designs! maybe post some links to bigger images its nices but kinda hard to see i know we get the basic idea but its always nice to get a close up look :)

Although its good to summarize a big process down using that

Like it! i look forward to more

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I personally like your unique worklog. You haven't done a huge amount of modding yet, so I think for what you have done, the smallish pics and graphical style works great. A few more 'plates' with larger images would then work well for the bigger modding procedures, such as the windows and lighting etc.

Overall, great start, will certainly follow this.

18. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

This looks promising:thumb:

19. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

I for one love your worklog style. :thumb: It's different and easy to follow, in that it's not long-winded. "Picture's worth a thousand words" kind of thing. I agree that when you get more into the project where you have more detail to show, you need bigger pics. Maybe show a wide shot, then have a zoom-in detail shot coming off it or something.

Looking forward to more! :D

20. Gothic-Yoshi

Gothic-Yoshi The Matrix has you!!!

Looks cool.