1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:: Reload

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jamie, 11 Nov 2002.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Since the bottom of the case isn't flat I had to make a motherboard tray. I made it using some steel I had kicking around.

[​IMG]

Using the magical powers of the jigsaw ....

[​IMG]

I cut out the shape I needed.

[​IMG]

Mounted the stand offs by drilling holes and glueing them in with epoxy, don't have a small enough tap.

[​IMG]

Fits like a glove

[​IMG]

Don't worry, its not staying beige

2. Slink

Slink B7

Looking good SpiKe

3. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

cant wait for more pics!!

4. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Sweet Idea for a LAN case. Just tell them it's a leftover case from (insert war campaign here) and b/c you got so many kills with those bullets, you just couldn't part with the box. :D:D:D:D:D

I can't wait to see how it turns out though. :rock: :rock:

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

ooooh I would love to do this myself... more pics... I DEMAND... MORE PICS

6. Jamie

Your going to hate me after this post I know it :)

Starting off by drilling mounting holes for the hard drives in the motherboard tray, then priming and painting green to match the case. I have also drilled 6 holes to mount the tray to the bottom of the case.... I will show how that works later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get ready to cry ....

I milled out the sides, on the rear of the case I missed out almost right to the edge and on the front, I only milled out the inner panel. I had to use a milling machine because the case isn't big or flat enough for a jigsaw and it would have taken hours with a dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of pictures of the motherboard and hard drives on the motherboard tray. Note pictures were taken before it was painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should explain that it was almost impossible to cut out just holes for the ports and cutting out the sides makes it far easier to make up the rear panel. Trust me ... Its going to be ok.

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Looks prity sweet even though u decided to slice and dice it :) You gonna replace the front and back with plexi ? And no cd rom i see where u gonnna shove that lol there aint a lotta room left ;) Looking good so far keep up the good work :)

8. relix

relix Minimodder

mmmm looks sweet, tho I'd had left the case intact, it'd looked more "stealthed" :D

but, as casemodding is something personal, everything can and must do what he wants, else it wouldn't be right, so, very sweet looking spike :D

9. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I see you have teo HDDs in there instead of a HDD and CD-ROM... Forsaking a CD drive so when you go to the next LAN party you can fit more pr0n in there? :naughty:

Looking really cool thus far, I have to say I was a little worried about you dicing up the case, but now that I see it cut open, it looks really cool.

For the sides, what are placing in there? Putting some plexi in with olive drab painting/tinting on it would be cool. It'd look all military box like when off, then when you powered it up, it'd be all military cyber box like.

Well, good luck with the rest of the mod, I'm quite anxious to see how this one turns out.

:hip:

10. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I guess I am the only one crying :waah: :waah:

You didn't need to cut holes out for the ports, you could have re-wired them from off the motherboard to a lid at the top.
    Making all the ports, power, mouse, keyboard in the lid (Or on plexi under the lid)

If I do a lan party box.
    (Donations anyone?)

I will make it so that there is only the power connection, and use wireless everything, making no ports at all.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2002
  11. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Wireless Monitor :eyebrow:

12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

lol that would be cool no more tripping over that darned cable while carrying that hunk of plastic an glass up stairs

13. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

It's possible, be it very hard, but possible.

I was thinking of replacing communication links with a mix of RF and IR.

I like IR because it is easy to build/troubleshoot.
    IR can be properly modulated/demodulated you can transmit very fast signals.

RF can be nice, but it is hard as heck to get amature RF communications (Digital) to work reliably.

----------------
    /Oooo....tingle down my spine....
    I got an idea!!!

Mabye for the wired stuff, replace all the wire signals with fibre optics!!!!
    Think of having laser lit fiber's running to your monitor/mouse/keyboard and such.

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

and we will replace every trace on the mobo and every power cable with GOLD

15. Jamie

Next step was a bit of a cheat....

A friend of mine has a plastics company with cnc machines so I visited him one morning and after 2 or so hours I came home with some sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fit nicely..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to do some tinting ... macro black style'

[​IMG]

I'm not too sure how it will look with green and black but modding is all one big 'experiment'

If I like it, then w00t..

16. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Looking nice there, the tinting should look cool. Too bad you can't buy green tint :naughty:

Care to explain the littel single hole ont eh one panel? It's too bloody small to be an intake fan hole.... Is it for a tube maybe... Maybe for water cooling? :eyebrow: :idea:

I see the I/O plate and exhaust fan hole, the little slots and square hole are for PSU right? And the other end is graphics card and NIC right?

Oh yeah.....

CHEATER! CHEATER!

[size=0.5]Just joking....[/size] :lol::lol:

Looking nice there Spike. :clap:

17. Jamie

GFX and Sound are the slots ... don't like the onbaord sound on that Asus. NIC is onboard.

the hole in the front panel is for ....

[​IMG]

18. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

*click*

OOhhh yeah.... Power buttons... Thsoe are sometimes useful :hehe:

Oh cool. Someone who is getting a proper sound card and not using the pants that are on mobos... :rock:

I take it your going for a standard metal I/O plate....?

Or are you saving some of the material you cut out of the box and using that so you can match it up a bit? Hmm.. That'd be pretty cool looking......

*looks at stereo*

Why couldn't that part be in?! ARGH... Looking at your case makes me want to mod so much......

:rock:

19. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, I think i will have to keep in mind you know someone at a plastics company spike, as I my have a use for your friend for the Clear waterfall project I am gonna attempt to finish after HAL :D

But good work so far :)

That thing coming to the uni MGS lan?

20. bust0aster

bust0aster What's a Dremel?

could you use a sheet of translucent green material like is used to tint lcd's sandwitched between the plexi and the window tint? i would think that that would give a sort of green reflective color when not backlit and a smoked green color when lit. I have no idea if it would work, but its the first thing i thought of on how i would try to do it.