1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress RTX scratchlog: done, but not final update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 28 Jun 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

UPDATE ON LAST PAGE: PUMP HOUSING
    [​IMG]

Hey! First ill give you a breif introduction.

Im 15 years old, and have a pretty decent workshop but have absoutely no access to any really nice tool, whatesoever. This is my first modding experience ever, lol and im diving right into case building. Ive got this project under way, and i can gaurentee you this will not be a vapormod(one that is never finished)

ANother thing i would like to note is that im not just posting this prematurely, i just like posting one thing at a time. So im waiting on a riviter, and my sketchup model got deleted from my computer, but this will be aluminum with a aluminum frame. I already have all the aluminumangles cut and im waiting on a riviter to come to assemble the frame. So your thinking "will there be pics or is this guy just gunna talk all day?" theres a ton of pics btw. But here are the tools i hvae:
    drill press
    scroll saw
    jig saw
    dremel
    hand drill(or whatever you call it, a crappy one though)
    compressor/airbrush
    hack saw

So ill start by posting the hard drive racks

Im getting the psu bracket, hard drive and cd rom drive racks from a older computer. THe motherboad tray will come performance-pcs.com

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    so i cut off the floppy part, i won't be needing more then 3 drives
    Sanded the paint, to a mirror finish
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    I did 400 wet, 800 wet, 1000 wet, 1500 wet, then 2000 wet. Then i did like 4 coats of brasso.

But still, it looked, may i say blah?

so i cut out a X in plexi on the scroll saw(no pic sorry)

Then i airbrushed the back of it blue, then airbrushed the front corners black. This way it looks like you have a 2mm clear coat, because you see the paint behind the plexi. Its hard to capture it in a picture, but here:
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    does this help with th etexture?
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    i won't show the pcis for al the rest, but i cut out a R and a T so it goes RTX with the cool texture. Then i drilled holes (btw i own all my tools)
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    Then, i through it all together to see what it look slike. this is finished, only i didn't put all the screws in and im going to use better screws, or at least screws that match lol
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    the thing holding them together is the T, and engraved in it is teyber.

Ill give a post with the sketchup befor it was deleted in a jpg format and the aluminum angles

Last edited: 18 Jan 2008
  2. Teyber

Teyber ******

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

so here is the primer, note i cut and sanded the hard drive racks after:
    http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=allstuffprimedry8.gif
    sorry its linked, i can't find it on my computer lol

Then after a total of 12 coats of paint, i got this:
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    Same finish on the psu bracket.
    I used rust-oleum primer, then airbrushed, then i used rust-oleum enamel/clear coat to protect the fragile paint. not bad, eh?

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

Ii am in the middle of doing this, but im stuck till that darnded riviter comes. i ordered it from freight harbor tools like 4 weeks ago, they didn't include it with the airbrush i bought, then i called and they were like "yeah its out of stock, it comes back the 22'nd" and i still havn't seen it. I can't do anythign till i hae that!!!
    So this update isn't complete, but heres the work for the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    Ordered 30 feet of the stuff from www.onlinemetals.com . they are a greaat store with awsome customer service!
    so with my somewhat limited tools, i had to cut all of this with a hack saw
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    here is what i have leftover: will be used to support the psu and the motherboard tray
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    a mock up of what it will be
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28

so comments suggestions welcome!

i will be showing you what a big order im about to place, and will appreciate any suggestions on what to change(im buying stuff like led's, switches, motherbaord tray, ac ryan mesh)

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

so i callled harbor frieght, and the tool doesn't come back in stock till july 13th. jesus effin christ! when i bought it it didn't say out of stock either. So im going to go pick up a riviter from lowes, most likely today and keep you guys posted. comments suggestions welcome

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

hmm... im interested...
    subscribed.

7. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks. i have a lot of time on my hands now cuz its summer, so im modding a lot.

So i called about the rivit tool, and they said its out of stock till july 13th. jesus!
    So i canceled the order and im goign to lowes...

And i owe it to you to show you what it sort of will look like,
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-28
    i also got some plexi from lowes, its like 3/8" inches thick, and 18x24 inches.
    darn i can't find the pic, i guess it will be in next update

8. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

like where this is headed.... had a similar experience w/ harbor frieght. 3 weeks for a simple tap and die kit >.<

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

interesting...... i will keep an eye on this..

10. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

woo another cube(ish) alu angle project!! lol i really want to work on mine but i have 0 time atm!!

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

yeah man you inspired a lot of this. I was going to do a mdf case, then i realized how lame i would make it look.

12. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

ha well good glad to be an inspiration to you:thumb: (im only 17 myself)

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

power to young modders :clap:

Im really happy with the paint :sigh: , except it took so long. Im going for the best paint i can get. So tommoro ill work all day, and post a update either at the end of tomoro or the next day. For now ill remake my sketchup, but it won't be really good cuz it got erased :eyebrow: really lame man.

so ill keep :dremel:

and sorry for overuse of smilies lol!

14. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

i like where this is going. Yes power to the young modders... young blood in modding is great . the children are our future HAH! good job so far kiddo !

15. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks man.

SO i bought a pop-rivit gun and i bought the attachment for my ho le saw(114 mm, close enough to 120mm), because apparently 25 bucks isn't en ough for a hole saw and i needed to spend another 16 bucks

ANywho, about the riviter im not suer how to use it. So tomoro ill be workign almost all day, and if i have trouble with riviting ill post some pics.

And that means a lot morbid!

16. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

this looks like its going to be good.

17. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

riveting is really simple, just stick the long "nail" looking thing into the barrel of the gun, place the stub into the hole of the overlapping parts of metal then squeeze. sometimes it takes two squeezes depending on the length of the "nail" part. hope that helps! :D

18. Teyber

Teyber ******

yup!

i got it figured out, and the bottum is finished hahha.

I woke up at 7 just tow ork on this yay.

update later today

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

i love the new forums!

does anybody know why mine says project log instead of scratch build? i guess all i have posted so far is that, but this is a scratch build FYI.

Ill post some pics of what ive been doing, ive been working like a dog.

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

Heres the tools i used for rivitign:
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-29

And next my baby
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-29

i drilled holes with the drill press, and then i rivited the corners in a 90 degree holder thing
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-29
    and lets go back to elementary school, 2 dots make a line(or ray), right? so most people use 1 rivit and complain about rigidy,(no clue on spellign) but i used 2 rivits at every corner, and its strong as a rock!

and i finished the top and bottum, im going out to attach them. I filed them and everything. Also ordered lots of aluminum panels about 10 minutes ago.
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-06-29

SO ill post more pisc later today!

comments appreciated