1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress RTX scratchlog: done, but not final update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 28 Jun 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

i don't have c-molding, would electrical tape be o.k.?

i just have bad luck with my dremel i guess.

I wanted to be working all morning, but thers workman in the garage :( so not till around 2 pm my time can i work again

2. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

the mobo looks ALOT better. someone did some filing :D

about that C-molding/ U channel, i dont know if electrical tape would work as good. but if you do end up using tape go with a couple of layers just to be safe!

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

ah started front panel! This is the most important in my opinion and needs to be PERFECT, no wavy lines lol.
    So i spent forever marking everything. I marked where to cut the 114mm hole, where the edge of the fan will go... If things go accordingly one or both sides will hold a swiftech mcr-360
    [​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-07-19
    Im not going to drill the holes to actually hold the fan untill i have the parts in front of me, that can't even be .25 mm off!

setting up... This hole saw, cost 25$. Not bad, but then BAM i opened it for the first time and you need something to attach it to the drilL! wtf! that was another 16$ so it totals to 41$ for an effing hole saw! but look at that monster... this thing is scary to use!
    [​IMG]

And after about a half a can of 3-in-1 oil and scaring the **** out of me a cou ple times and about a half an hour, i end up with this:
    [​IMG]
    Looks good huh! still need to file the inside, just took this after i did it. All the liquid stuff is a mixture of primarily oil and a little bit of water. Oil makes it cut a lot better.

I need to give vice some mad props for using this with a hand drill!!! this was so hard on a drill press!

so im going go get more work donetonight on the front panel.

late!

p.s. for the mobo, ill post pics but i used painters tape and put some clear coat on the paint, it doesn't really look like tape anymore its cool

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    THATS HAWT

sweetness got er done

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

NOTE THE 90 DEGREE ANGLES YAY A FIRST FOR ME(that is first without filing, ending pu with 90 degree angles)

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

yay!

guys i might be getting all the watercooling parts for semi-free

My aunt was cleaning her attic and found some old art. SHe gave them to me to sell on ebay. I was to lazy to put them on ebay, cuz i thought i would make like 10 bucks off all of them and was about to give them to goodwill(what a good guy i am!jkjk) then my mom was like hey do a google search

I found a couple gallaries, these pieces are going for 200$ each!!! i have like 4, and am hoping to get 125-175 for them. I gave teh galleries emails, iwll hear back from them tomoro or the next day :)

7. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

LOL. nice find. and you were gonna sell them for 10 bucks, LMAO

8. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Doesn't pay to be GOOD! LOL. Nice angles on that piece you did!

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2007-07-20
    thats not this thread, but ive been toying aro und with some ideas for a customer :D sometime later this year hopefully!

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Hope your not going to lan parties with it heh... looking good!

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks!

guys chagne in plan!

The black paint looked o so boring, so im gunna repaint it that crazy blue the cd rom cages are!!!

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

it was too boring though....

Update!

I have spent so much time measuring and such... I cut everything, spent hourst and hours filing, then sanded it all vertically with 120 grit sand paper
    [​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-07-21

[​IMG]
    front panel finished
    I drilled the holes for the RTX, trust me they will be straight(the hoels are supposed to be crooked)

[img=http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8086/rearpaneliy1.jpg]
    I have spent soo much time measuring everything on this panel... What you see is
    1) psu hole
    2) 2 fan holes
    3) mobo tray cutout
    4) mesh
    Since there is 6 fans intake and only 3 fans exaust(one on mobo tray), that is no good. SO the mesh will help with that, same with the mesh on the side. The mobo cutout is weirdly shapped because there are lots of mounting holes in weird p laces on the mobo tray
    [​IMG]
    as you can see here...

SO im going to dissasemble the other 3 panels again, and sand them. Ill post pics too, and ill also be straightening out the lines a wee bit.

it looks great sanded... both sides are sanded btw

And i already said it but the outside color is going to be changed to a reall cool blue color!

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

14. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

That THING is a monster! I cant wait to see this HUNK of ALU all bolted up ...
    A nice size comparison would be great when you have it all together.
    its lookin SWEET so far man . w00t n stuff keep up the great work eh!
    [​IMG]

15. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks!

I won't have it up for a little while. but in my next update ill try to remember to take pics of it besides soemthing...

16. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Dude, eveything looks a lot straighter. You are getting better quick! Good job. Oh by the way, nice toe. LOL.

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks! haha foot fetish!!!

jkjk.

So yeah, i sanded the panels, and they looked so good i decided im just goign to brush the panels and not paint them, is that kosher? i mean i will never be satisfied with a p aint, and this looks awsome so far! im down to 800 grit on front panel.

ANd ill be filing the windows even straighter.

Going to home depot in t-5 minutes

18. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Sweet work dude. I am glad you decided to straighten out the panels. Overall great work so far! Try and take a pic of it next to a normal sized atx case for size comparrison.

19. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Of course that's kosher.

Someone on bit-tech (someone give them credit if you know who) showed how they got a great looking brushed look. They built a jig with two parallel guides. Then attached a wood block in between with coarse sandpaper on the bottom. This gave perfectly parallel scratch marks for a gorgeous finish.

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    Shot with COOLPIX P4 at 2007-07-22
    look what santa brought!

a hand sander(yay!), a 3hp shop vac(yay!), and im sick of all of lowes clear coat paints. Ive tried them all. SO i bought some paint thinner and some paint on clear coat, and im going to airbrush the frame like this!
    and about the brushed, i hear if you sand 400 grit then spray clear coat you get a cool finish, but right now im experimenting with trying to sand it all the way up to 1500 or 2000 grit
    [​IMG]
    my best helper :)
    and deanmf, this is for you. sorry its a bad comparison, its the best i can do at this point in time
    [​IMG]
    the other case is small though. I didn't want to mess up my moms stacks of court cases,(that would be bad) so i couldn't get it any closer. and my case right now is ... ghetto

So yay! stoked on what i got, ill keep you guys updated.

And im going to try to make the panels shiny, but im sure after a while ill get sick of it and do somehting else lol!