1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress RTX scratchlog: done, but not final update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 28 Jun 2007.

1. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

LOL dude that thing if ******* HUGE!!!!!!!!!

w00000t

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Nice. You offically got hooked up! See it always pays to be good;) SANTAS NOT REAL! Anyways,... enjoy:)

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SANTAS NOT REAL!!!

jkjk my parents straight up told me when i was lilke 5 that santas fake :D lol

i n eed to return the shop vac, i hate buying things and they are used.... The wheels were missing from the package as well as all the attachments for the shop vac :( the sander is sweet! but man im tired(from all teh vibrations) and its still gunna take forever....

What do you guys thing for finish, brushed or really shiny(lazy version of mirrored)?

4. tribaloverkill

God I hate orbital sanders. Well,... for aluminum at least. I dont use them for aluminum as you can see. I like using circular sanders. do you have a power drill? Not a cordless. If you do get a circular sanding disc attachment with sand disc paper at different grits. Clamp your work down on a board and then start sanding with that. Once you get to like at least 120grit,... you can start wet sanding the same way. I explain how within my blackout log. Search for it and try it. It's how I wet sand.

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

yeah i read your thing. its actually workign quite well for me , just its hard to get in a dent....

And i just placed a order for some plexi/lexan!

thanks to tribal, i have something up my sleeve... im going to give a homemade resevoir a shot! i could fail miserably, but o well you never know till you try!

so since ive never watercooled before(haha i jumped straight to a monster phase change) im quite scared about leaks. Im going to watercool my sli8800gtx's, and my nb. Ack i spent so much money on my graphics cards.. if it leaked, what would i do?!?!? lol scary thought.

So bout the resevoir, im paranoid about leaks, so i got 1/4" tube and 1/2" lexan... yieah the bullet proof stuff! it 1/2 proves a huge hassle i also got some 1/4 lexan... just ordered it so it won't come for a week or so

also a quad core coming soon!

6. tribaloverkill

Dude,... you got a 1/4" tube? LOL. What the hell you going to do with that?!?!? LOL. 1/2" acrylic? You going to use that for the ends of the reservoir? That way to thick. You dont need that. Having 1/2" acrylic is going to leak any less then 1/4". If it's going to leak it's goign to leak and it leaks through the joints and jints you will have regardless of the thickness. Unless you have something planned where you seriously need the 1/2",... I cant cancel it. Save the money. The 1/4" lexan is fine. Now that I think about it,... you meant 1/4" thick tube? Thats fine but it would of been better if you got 1/8" acrylic. Why? Because the 1/8" is thinner. The ends will be easier to sand down. Remember,... you have to sand the end down EVENLY. if you sand by hand and you lean a bit more to one side it will be uneven. With the 1/4" you will sand a flat side to the out surface of the end of the tube. I personally limit the amount of sanding done to the ends of the tubes. A couple of laps on 120 and thats it. It's easy to mess up by sanding like this. If you dont get it right with the 1/4" get a 1/8" wall tube and then try it. The 1/8" is strong as hell. It wont break. The 1/4" stuff is litterally bomb proof. I dont use it much.

7. Teyber

Teyber ******

it was pretty cheap lol!

I got the 1/4 inch tube because it was like 7 dollard for 2 feet of it, so i got 4 feet of it for 14$... not bad! and im not like you tribal, i don't buy like 10foot by 10foot sheets lol! i only bought a 6x12 of the 1/2" lexan and 9x12 of the 1/4" lexan... www.estreetplastics.com i was happy with the price!

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

o another thing, i have a couple of different res. ideas, one including taping into the side, so thats one reason i got the 1/4"

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

10. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Thanx for the size comparrison dude! Dang, the case is nice and big :)

11. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

It's got dual purpose. Hold's the computer and the body of the ex-girlfriend. LOL. :lol:

12. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

its going to look even wider when its finished, as the phase is going to sit beside it

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

alright, ive been working non stop but theres nothign to show. Ive just been sanding, and sanding, and sanding.....

15. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Sanding is a bitch! My sanding will hopefully start on Thursday...

16. Teyber

Teyber ******

yeah... except im sanding through 3 layers of enamel, 4 layers of black paint, and 3 lalyers of primer....

17. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Ouch! LOL. But, in the end, all the sanding makes it worth while!

18. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Teyber, next time you gotta remove paint, soak the thing down with pine-sol and let it soak for a few hours and then get some old rags or a bunch of paper towels and just wipe it off (or find a place it won't kill plants and spray it down with the garden hose, plants don't actually mind the soap, it's the paint they don't like). The phosphoric acid and other chemicals in it will take the paint right off without damaging anything. Beats the hell out of all that back work.

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

ooooo! im going to look for that... Nice work my friend!

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2007-07-24
    1) 15 set file(i need the tiny ones for a upcoming part of the project)
    2) 12 watt soldering iron
    3) 5 leds(they were so expensive at frys!!!)
    4) multi meter(finally...)
    5) 4 cans of air(woot!)
    [​IMG]
    Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2007-07-24
    Heres the electrical stuff i bought, now i have two soldering irons! yay!
    Tomoro, i should have finished getting the paint off the panels... so maybe pics!(but keep in mind i still need to sand)

Last edited: 25 Jul 2007