1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Ultra Violet

5.5/10

Seemed promising at first, same kinda vain as Aeon Flux & Equilibrium, but then it kinda lost the plot ( literally ) about half way through. Special effects are a bit too comic book naff, done in an attempt to cover up the fact they couldnt be done 'well' I feel so they stylised them as best they could. Cool fight scenes & interesting plot /twists, but ultimately I was left feeling very meh by the end which is a shame.

Milla Yovovich looked hotter back then though, had a bit more meat on her..

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Iron Man 2 6/10
    Lacked the funnyness of the first part.
    The bad opponent (Hammer) for instance could have been so much more...
    "Jean Baptiste Immanuel Zork":D

I liked Ultra Violett, Aeon Flux and Equilibrium...but they're not good films as such. :thumb:

3. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Bingo that was it ... God sake don't watch it with ya mates around .. especially after a few beers
    :waah:

4. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

I quite liked Ultra Violet but Aeon Flux wasn't so good. We only managed to watch that once whereas we've watched Ultra Violet quite a few times.

Loved Iron Man 1, fell asleep during Iron Man 2... vast let down of a sequel.
    Equilibrium was good in concept and most of the exectution but there was something not quite right about it; notwithstanding the fact that it was enourmously derivative.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

127 - 8/10

Enjoyed it. Going in I knew it was supposed to be good, but just couldn't imagine how something with such storyline could ever work. It did. Inspiring story. Also there were just two people in the theater with us, which was nice :) I hate it when people buy hundred liters of pop corn and just munch away the whole freaking two hours.

EDIT:

Brooklyn's Finest - 8/10

Again a solid movie. Granted, the same sorta thing has been done time and time again, but I still enjoyed it.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2011
  6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Watched Amadeus, haven't seen it since I was much younger..

It really is a unique film, the pacing and style is very different than any other movie I've seen.

9.5/10?

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Wolverine; The Origins

6/10

Just a whole 'meh' feeling during the whole movie. I think what impressed me the most was how hot his girlfriend was :hehe: . The movie wasn't terrible though, it just left me indifferent.

RED

6.5/10

Decent movie with a really cool cast. It was my fourth movie of the day so maybe I was getting a little tired. That would explain why I wasn't overwhelmed by it even though I can't put my finger on what I didn't like exactly

Unbreakable

8/10

It had been a long time since I had seen it but it was still just as good as before even though I remembered the plot twist.

The Waterboy

6.5/10

Very stupid, very Sandler-ish. There are some really funny parts and Katy Bates is great as the b*tch you want to punch in the face. The movie was exactly as I remembered it and I still enjoyed it with a few mates.

8. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    6/10
    Impressive special effects don't make up for the fact that the plot is nonexistent. Still the effects are pretty enough if there is nothing else to watch. Also am I the only one who wishes they would stop casting Nicolas Cage in films, he just doesn't.... fit as the lead in anything I've seen.

9. docodine

Jimbob94 and theevilelephant like this.
  10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

To be fair he was good in Lord of War. I guess it was because his cold/indifferent face fit the role so well. In most movies I just get sick of watching him.

11. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Haha excellent, have some rep.

Actually not seen that one.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes!

Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!

Nicolas Cage only plays Nicolas Cage. There's no character. The ONLY thing he was good in was Kick Ass because he was a parody of himself.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

He was good as Castor Troy

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

The Horseman - 8/10 - Great revenge flick.
    Bronson - 8/10 - Tom Hardy is fantastic in this movie
    Rise of the Footsoldier - 7.5/10 - Good little British crime movie
    Ip Man - 7/10 - Solid kung fu movie
    The Good, The Bad, The Weird - 7/10 - Entertaining Chinese Western

... I watched way too many movies today

15. docodine

Lord of War could have been an excellent film instead of just 'good', the only problem was Nicholas Cage and Jared Leto..

I agree that he was great in Kick Ass.

There has been quite a bit of advertising lately about his next movie, Drive Angry. Without exception, whenever I see the ad on TV, someone in the room says "really? another one of these?".

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Phone Booth

8.5/10

I give this movie a very good grade because it was very effective at what it was meant to be. Farrel was surprisingly good and Sutherland's voice was perfect

Nick and Norah's infinite playlist

8/10

The story doesn't make any sense and one or two characters are useless but the chemistry between all of them is very good and the film as a whole just makes you feel good. I think it's a good movie to watch with the girlfriend. It's not very emotional but it makes you want to get closer

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I liked that one, interesting take on The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

18. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I thought he was good in Adaptation, which I saw recently. Con Air and Face Off were good too.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

I like that Nicolas Cage does a lot of movies that are guaranteed let-downs in between his major roles.
    He really seems to be enjoying himself playing in little bad movies :D

Anyway:

"Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" 6/10
    very well animated, but they somehow managed to make the whole movie feel "dragged along"
    The director of this thing directede "300" and "Watchmen". So how does this movie fit? :confused:

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Jared Leto wasn't a problem for me. I definitely don't think he was a problem for any females in the audience, either. My god, those eyes...

Ahem.

I watched the first half of Gandhi again recently but didn't have the stomach to finish it. I love it, it's one of my favourites, but it's just a crushing film to watch.

Watch it if you haven't, by the way. It's one of those films you simply have an obligation to see.