Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I disagree completely, and I hated (yes, hated) 24. I thought Torchwood, in all its iterations, were great - which obviously also includes Miracle Day. I'd rate it 7/10.
    About Jack though; he is omnisexual, though with a preference towards men, and this has throughout the Torchwood series been quite evident. Remember his relationship with Ianto for instance? Those guys were steaming up the screens in the first two seasons. Also, prior to the Torchwood spin-off from Doctor Who, Jack did have a not-so-platonic relationship with the doctor himself.

So, in conclusion:

Torchwood: Miracle Day - 7/10

True, there's a lot of conspiracy being layered upon other conspiracies, but the season gets a nice and fitting end. Torchwood fans should watch it. It's not as good as Children of Earth, but it's quite a lot better than BentAnat makes it out to be. I am really looking forward to the next one.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm kind of half-way between the two of you. I feel that the partnership with the US network (Starz?) is what's lead to the last series being (a) Amercianised; and (b) being more about the conspiracies and less about the sci fi - I think Starz wanted it to be more mainstream.

I think it lost its way through the middle section, and focussed way too much on the pharma conspiracy too much. I'd have liked to see more about the causes of the Miracle (the big, holey thing) and less of the political/conspiracy stuff. I don't think they developed Bill Pullman's role enough (he kind of got sidelined half way through, and ended up not having much to do towards the end). I think perhaps it was being pulled in too many directions by too many different parties (I'm guessing RTD didn't have total control like he did with the previous series) and ended up trying to be too many things to too many people.

It was enjoyable, but not as enjoyable as previous Torchwoods - and not a patch on Children of Earth.

I'd give it 5/10.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm not sure of Torchwood: MD... I started off enjoying it but lost interest after the first few episodes. Just seemed stretched too thin. Also....

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Ah yes, the discrepancy between Torchwood and Doctor Who. I suppose they could explain it away by stating that the two take place in two separate and alternative timelines...

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm quoting myself because there were a lot of mistakes in that post that I've fixed now. This is one of the disadvantages of posting from a phone - I'm never as careful to make sure that the post makes sense before sending it from Tapatalk :rolleyes:

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Originally, it was stated that Dr Who, Torchwood, and Sarah Jane Adventures were set in the same universe, but that Torchwood would never collide with the kid-friendly SJA.

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Huh, I didn't even know the Sarah Jane Adventures existed, but it does explain a couple of things though.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It ran 4-and-a-half seasons, and ended on Tuesday (last season half-sized due to Elizabeth Sladen's death in April).:sigh:

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that sucked- didn't even know she was ill until after her death was announced.

Knight & Day ( 2010 )

7/10

Started out extremely well as a pretty straight forward spy-on-the-run thriller, then it kinda gets a bit muddled with the plot twists and supposed double-dealing, not in the same league as the kinda stuff the Borne films deals with in that respect. Still, pretty good film and perfectly watchable since its only ~104 minutes long, mainly great effects with only a few iffy bits in the bike chase scene.

10. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

The Strangers.

1 word, ****.

Complete waste of time and had no clue why the **** they made it.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Gnomeo&Juliet (8/10)
    Not bad at all, a lot funnier than cars anyway, I wonder why it got dissed so much.

12. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

7/10 from me as well. Enjoyed but not going to watch again for a long while. Also the one-liners are a bit painful. Please remove brain before sitting down to this one :p

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's worth it for Cameron ;)

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Harry Brown 9/10

Yeah. Loved it. Slow, intense, brilliant.

For christmas, I intend on getting Harry Brown an AA-12 and several thousand rounds of ammo, a respirator and pay for all his travel expenses. He should visit alot more places.

Yes, these are my opinions.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I have that movie, I'm just waiting to watch it (maybe tonight)

Right now I'm watching Full Metal Jacket again. I usually don't watch movies more than a couple of times unless it's a good one. Plus it's getting me ready for BF3. I think I'll also watch Platoon tonight

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Hamburger Hill, Talvisota (worth the subtitles ;) ), 9th Company, few others. Worth a watch over the next week.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

True Romance - 10/10

Love this film. Great cast, great script, great story, great characters. Always helps pick me up a little when I have s****y days.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Just in case you're wondering my my pace has slowed considerably, i'm plugging through:
    24 - Season 1
    No score yet as I'm only halfway through.

So far:
    Pro: the story is good, so is the suspense, all a bit long-drawn off course.
    Con: the colour...did they render the world in brown drab? (Fallout 3 comes to mind):D

Also: Who EDITED this thing? so far, I've spotted two cameramen and one special effects guy. :duh:

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Captain America 5/10

Piece of ****. The special effects are bad, the acting is rubbish and the entire way the movie is portrayed is not worth talking about.

20. el2k

el2k Modder

Due Date 8/10

Very funny. Great film. Just my type of humour.