1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

G.O.R.A 8/10

A turkish Sci-Fi comedy from 2004.
    it's hilariously funny, even in Turkish with subtitles (I don't understand a word Turkish and LMAO) Turks making fun of Turkish predjudices, and spoofing lots of movies.

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Mechanic
    7/10
    Good solid action romp with a completely predictable storyline, not enough flying kicks, and not enough nudity. Also: not enough cocky remarks from Jason Statham.

Also: the loose tail scenes are a bit "What's this got to do with aything"...

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Thor 2/10

What a piece of warm, stinking ****. Steampunk meets nordic mythology and this ugly stepchild emerges. Story is bad, actors are stupid and the overall execution is more in the "oooooh, look we have a Sun Microsystems server to do our 3D animations so let's stuff a shitload of it in here and hope people don't notice the fact that the entire movie is ****."

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I watched most of the first season this series this weekend, and while not technically a movie as such, I feel it deserves a mention.

Falling Skies - 8/10

True, the writing may be a bit off at times, and there are some issues regarding the alien tech which, while forgiveable, is a bit on the implausible side (like the mechs not having IR-vision or something like that). But, on a whole I feel it is a very good series with enough suspense, drama and action to last at least two seasons. I like it a lot.

Also, I have to give the following a mention as I just noticed it - this.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Whoah, better keep you away from comic book remakes then. :p

How does Independence Day 2 work? Set far into the future we build a huge spaceship and take the pain over to those damn aliens?

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I was wondering about that as well.

Could be fun having a deep future sequel, but then the recasting of Will Smith might be a bit off, and apparently he is intended for the project as soon as MIB3 is wrapped up.
    I will however watch it whenever - if ever - it is released, and it seems Emmerich has two more movies planned. I do suspect, however that if it simply is a case of a second wave of invaders coming to finish the job, then the surviving humans won't have much left to fight them off with. Of course, unless Goldblum is there with his collection of universal viruses...
    Still, a sequel might be interesting.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

If Independence Day 2 doesn't have both Goldblum and Smith, I will start a riot.

8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The Goonies

9/10

What can you say really? Classic story telling kids adventure with some brilliant SFX for the time, they don't make 'em like this anymore really...

9. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Insomnia - 8.5/10

Good acting from Pacino and Robin Williams.

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It doesn't. It can't. It won't.

:p

11. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

How to train your dragon - 7/10

Took a while to get going - found myself thinking if I was a kid I'd have given up with it before it started. Was also annoying that all the Vikings had jovial Scottish accents - it's as if the people at dreamworks have said 'Hey Shrek spoke with a light Scottish accent and that's been a great little gravy train, let's give all our characters the same accent, it sells everywhere'.

However, once the film got going it was quite enjoyable. I found the art style a bit too cartoony, again seeming like it was reaching out to the mainstream audience a little too much, I'd have preferred it a little darker - considering it's a film about how dragons get misunderstood as scary enemies by the humans, none of the dragons were drawn to look scary.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Serenity 9/10

Brilliant, absolutely loved it. If you want to watch it, make sure you watch the series "Firefly" first (only 14 episodes and well worth it). This movie wraps things up nicely and is very, very well done in terms of narrative, acting, setpieces, and direction; it really exceeded my expectations in a big way.

Roger Dodger 3/10

This scores really high on Rotten Tomatoes; it's one of the most boring films I have ever watched. The main character is such an annoying ponse... if you make it past the first 20 minutes of the film, you have my congratulations.

13. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Who framed roger rabbit 9.5/10

re-watched it, still as fantastic as ever,

i really hope the rumors of a sequel are true...

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Limitless - 8/10

This had been hyped a fair bit and I have to say that it lived up to the hype very well.

Good acting, good script, good story and a solid ending. I approve.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

That one I also didn't understand.

16. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

The Beaver(hehe) - 7/10

Good movie with some very good acting and a touching/happy ending. I just felt that it was a little too fast paced and didn't really give me time to "get to know" the supporting actors, hence the 7/10. Still, overall I enjoyed it a lot.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Well, any film where Summer Glau kicks a guy standing behind her in the face without turning round is worth seeing. :naughty:

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

they'll skip the Mac wifi /alien interface and plant a virus using a USB key instead, "plug and play"?

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

RED - 8/10

Really enjoyed this. Another one that lived up to the hype. It's like an pensioner version of the Expendables. John Malkovich is stunning in it.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

*Double post.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011