Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Bangkok Dangerous (4/10)
    Not the Nick Cage one, the original 1999 Thailand one.
    Ummm, hasn't aged well, looks like it's from the eighties. Very "Artsy" flashbacks, and a story that develops really slow.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Redline - 9/10.

Take some Japanese animators, lock them in a room with a cocktail of drugs and make them watch wacky races. This is the result. ****ing In-sane. I need to watch it again in 1080 with the sound turned up looooud because I simply cannot read and watch the visuals at the same time. Loses a point because a points the visuals are just too ****ed to understand what is going on. Only Dead Leaves was more batshit crazy.

22 Bullets. 7/10

Love Jean Reno, love the driving, love the shooting which adds to the score, but the story is weak.

Transformers 3 - 2/10

Shittest one of the lot. Even the robot fighting was hugely boring. The irony is that Shea Butter is a marginally better actor in this one.

Thanks to Alf I want to watch Roger Rabbit again :D

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm pleased you finally got around to watching this :D

4. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Withnail and I - 9/10

Absolute classic and only £3 on Blu-Ray in HMV

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't think that one ever left the UK :D

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Johnny English Reborn - 6.5/10

Wasn't quite the film I was expecting. Think 007 but with more quips, not Johnny English. They seem to have taken the film a little too seriously in parts, where the other one was a constant laugh, this was more spaced out. Not a bad film, I'd give that a 7.5, but having to follow on from the 2nd, it loses points.

May not have helped that we watched the first an hour before we watched the second.

Transformers 3 - 5/10

It was ok, not quite as spectacular as I had expected. Hopefully they won't make a 4th. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley - Her chin, my balls. NOW.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

^_______________^

Thats what I thought but my girlfriend was sat next to me at the time, and no I didnt make her go. She's a massive geek lol

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (7/10)
    A turned around colledge-kids-in-the-woods murder story.
    Funny, but not hilarious, sometimes serious, but not boring, a bit on the edge of scream, but never as cringeworthy.
    Lacks a certain...aaah I don't know what really.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Paul 7/10
    Good movie to kill 2 hours. Pretty funny most of the time

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Wanted (2008) 8/10

I decided I'd watch this again, three years after I saw it in the cinema.

And I really enjooyed it this time. If you overloock the silliness of the movie, you might really enjoy it. :D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's been sitting on my hard drive for ages. I've only got time since I'm travelling. Probably get around to re-watching in Chinese New Year now :/

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

saw what's your number? earlier

it was pretty funny.. give it a 8.5/10

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Super
    5/10
    It's NOT Kick-Ass, though it seems to try hard.
    It's violent, it's got cute women in it, and the main character is annoyingly retarded.

Stake Land
    7/10
    The acting is decent, the story is - who am I kidding... noone cares.
    Criticism would be that it feels more like a Zombie flick than a Vamp one, and that at times it makes these random plot jumps that made me feel like there were 5 minutes of film missing...

14. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Captain America - 7/10

This is a fun movie, and it is quite funny at times as well. And while I did find myself rooting for the bad guys a lot of the time (they have the best gadgets after all), the main character is likable and suitably silly in his portrayal. All in all; a good sunday night movie that is entertaining and contains a lot of explosions. Good stuff.

I also finally got around to watching...

Falling Skies - Season finale - episode 10 - 8/10

It was a very good ending to the first season, and while the fighting force of the 2nd Massachusetts is severely diminished - nigh on crippled - I am anxious to see how season 2 turns out. All in all I heartily recommend the series for anyone into science fiction and gripping stories about mankind being bitchslapped and pretty much conquered and beat into submission by alien invaders.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Rio (6/10)
    There's a lot less singing than I expected, and a lot of unneccesary oooh-look-we're-in-3D shots.
    But overall a bearable animation movie

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not really a movie, but a complete series, so ya.

Torchwood: Miracle Day
    2/10

WHY? HOW? What posessed them to take a series that was GREAT in its original format, BRILLIANT in the last series (Children of Earth), and then, in the follow up to that they make a complete pile of TOSS that feels more like 24 meets Fringe than Torchwood.
    Gay-Fake-Tom-Cruise (Jack Harkness) overacting the gay bit completely (in the previous seasons he was more bi than straight "oooh... penis...must conquer."
    The story turns into global conspiracy rather than the previously had Aliens, and there's just too much 24-ish BS and pharmaceutical companies ruling the world crap for this to be enjoyable. Avoid if you like Torchwood. Watch if you liked 24, I suppose.

17. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Senna
    ??/10

It was, erm. Powerful, I really enjoyed it, but that final 10 minutes. Amazing film.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Also saw Senna recently after disasterously missing it before it left the cinemas.

∞/10

That's how powerful it was. Being a modern day F1 fan makes it even better, but I'm pretty sure anyone who sees that film couldn't help but be moved by it.

The bonus stuff on the DVD is awesome too, but to be honest it's a shame so much of it ended up on the editing room floor. There were literally hundreds of hours of footage available to them for that film, and due to many red tape issues regarding permission they had to leave out some of the "best parts" of the original cut. There is one particular part of the final segment that they cut out, regarding the numerous problems with the Wiliams FW16 for the first few races of the 1994 season, which really hit home how dangerous the sport was when they banned the electronic driver aids from 1993 and teams were forced to remove them.

A lot of people who see that film won't know it, but "Senna" started out as a massive 7 hour cut, was screened as a 5 and a half hour cut to a test audience and was then gradually whittled down to the final 90 minute version.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  19. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

May eventually release the full 9 hour version of Senna as a extended edition etc.

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I waited and waited to find someone to watch Senna with and then it left the screens. Have to order BR or DVD now, because I really have to watch the damned thing.