1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

He did, sorry! Hurried posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep, losing (or gaining) a lot of weight in a short amount of time is not good. Steady, sustainable weight loss/weight gain (as required) is what you want.

I'm back on a diet again and so far I've lost 2lbs after the first five days, but I'm having to take a break from exercise as I'm weathering a fever at the moment and need to rest. The diet continues though. At my most recent weigh-in I was 14st 3lbs, and ideally I'd like to get myself as close to 13st as possible within the next couple of months.

So far all I've done is cut back (majorly) on carbs - no more gratuitous snacking on biscuits/chocolate, no sugar on my cereal or in my coffee, no unnecessary bread/pasta/rice etc with my meals, and considerably less fruit. A balance of healthy fats and protein-rich foods, so lean meats, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, and so on. I have one protein shake daily with about 30-35g protein, and that's the only supplement I take.

I have a small treat every day - a couple pieces of chocolate or cake, but never a biscuit. If you're going to treat yourself, do it in style!

3. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

First night having a go on the turbo trainer. 30 minutes of medium resistance cycling Cheesecake.

Lets see if I can get this thing going a little faster. I will do my weigh in at the end of the week and see how much damage my wife being sick following exam season has done to me.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Got some Chocolate mint whey from myprotein which taste surprisingly nice considering all the protein I've had in the past taste like toilet water when mixed with water instead of dealing with it i'm actually enjoying it which is nice.

Typical at 4am in the morning i enter my gym 2 people in there in total both using the bench machines which i needed lol so jumped on the cross trainer for 15 minutes which is surprising easy compared to running.

I'm defiantly going to start running a course of Cynostane, Mixing Mct oil with my shakes and taking milk thistle to support my liver.

This is the deadly combination that put me in the best shape of my life a few years back, it also gave me gallstones free of charge in which totally ended my training regime for 8 months until i had surgery and surgery again to fix that surgery.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

That's why I never mix protein powder with water... I always mix it with about 300ml milk. Even more protein! And are you toning up for competition or something? Cynostane?!

@Unicorn, as the other guys have said simply lowering your caloric intake will result in weight loss, but it's prudent to make sure that you get calories from healthy foods (whole grain, fruit, veg, lean meats) and that you don't lower your caloric intake too much.

A lesser-known fact about weight loss is that it's better to increase your protein intake whilst cutting out the unhealthy stuff. Most people who diet lose a lot of lean muscle as well as fat, and this actually makes losing weight more difficult because there isn't sufficient muscle mass to support the fat-burning metabolism. It also means that the weight goes back on very easily.

In short, aiming to have a healthy body and to have a healthy, active lifestyle is a better end goal than simply aiming to lose weight.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I know people who've had success with low-carb diets, but I'm opting for a 50:30:20 carb:fat:protein split. Sounds like I've done my research? Nah, it's just the default in the calorie-counting app I'm using and I can't be bothered to change it!

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I'm having some success with my diet. First step, cut back on drinking, more water less beer, cider wine. Second, cut back on oil and fried food and increase steamed vegetables, like broccoli, asparagus and Bessel sprouts. Third step, buy better bread but eat less of it. fourth step, spend more money on trout, caviar, lamb and steak so that it doesn't feel like a diet. Lost 2kg in 2 weeks. I also cycle to get around as much as possible.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Haven't read the whole thread, but it comes at the perfect time. I'm 34 years old, 1m83 heigh and weight 87Kg of none-muscules :D. I'd like to drop around 75Kg, but I'd like to do it the right way.

Little flashback, 10 years ago I was the same weight and fell into anorexia. Dropped to 49Kg (for 1m83) in a few month. This involved several health issues.

Got rid of the anorexia problem after several year of hard work, but I gradualy regained all the lost weight (wedding + kids + not healthy food at work + lack of sport).

Last edited: 2 Dec 2014
  9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I know the feeling :D Low-carb diets aren't for everybody as they can leave you feeling lethargic and hungry, especially after exercise (which is why I always carb out after weight training), but the results are incredible and the science is very, very simple: less carbs (especially refined sugar) means lower insulin levels, and lower insulin levels gears the body towards using fat for energy. There are other ways to lose weight, but the general rule is whatever works best for you is what's best for you. :)

Cut back? Get rid of it! Alcohol is very high in calories (and beer in particular) so you're just giving your body more energy to burn. ;) Of all three, a small glass of red wine is probably the best. :D

@GuilleAcoustic, the right way to diet? Cut out unnecessary snacking/nibbling, eat a healthy, balanced diet, start exercising or being more active just a little every day, and monitor your progress. Finding your feet is always the best start. :)

10. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Well, if you're looking for advice, might be sensible to speak to a well-informed medical practitioner. How confident are you that the cause of your anorexia has been dealt with?

You've written down a sensible target weight, so provided you make sure you stick to that and don't find yourself lowering that target, you should be fine. But something in the past obviously made 75kg not feel satisfactory to you. Why was that?

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

10 years of psychotherapy, not because of the anorexia, but because of what caused it.

Anorexia was not related to my weight to be honest. Stopped eating due to "other reason that I won't disguss publicly". I didn't want to lose weight, I just stopped eating. Later, I realised that girls started looking at me along with the body melting. That really didn't help either.

I tried to stay around 70KG (oscilating between 69 and 72), when I started to "heal", but I found it was really hard to maintain and the slightest weakness resulted in 2 additional kilos.

As for now, I have a stressfull job and often eat a sandwish in front of my computer. I'm thinking about buying somekind of "bento box" with an ice pack to bring healthier food for lunch. It's hard to eat healthy for cheap in Paris.

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Well stay stay strong man. Annorexia is no laughing matter and I for one am happy to hear about your progress/state etc. The perception of mental health is a nightmare but remember we're not going to troll you for being honest. (I am aiming for supportive not patronising here)

But at your height I can see 75kg being a good weight, I'm aiming for something a little heavier at the same height, but I want to be able to swim, cycle and run tough mudder etc. 78-80 is where I want to be.

13. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Calorie control is pretty cheap. You can control your weight over a few months eating whatever you like. Your body won't let you eat stupidly badly. Once you're in your target area weight-wise you can begin to worry about whether you're nutritionally sound or not.

Sometime ago I realised I was out of touch with when I was actually hungry and was eating habitually rather than on a supply-demand basis.

To confront it I just stopped eating lunch, replacing a meal with a low-calorie cup-a-soup and snacking on apple and carrots just enough to keep the wolf from the door.

This was based purely on calorie counting. I estimate roughly 400 cals for breakfast (around 7:30), 50 cals for an apple (pretty cheap) around 11:00, 50 cals for a couple of carrots (cheap) between 13:00 and 14:00, the 60 cal cup-a-soup (25p) around 14:30. This left me at 17:00 with a running total of 550-600 calories and I'd go home properly hungry. All I had to do then was eat a reasonably healthy meal for dinner that didn't exceed 1000 cals and I could be confident I'd achieved a calorie-deficit for the day. To be confirmed by a distinct feeling of peckishness around 20:00. Tell that feeling to f-off by applying a strict rule of not eating after 20:00 and going to bed at a decent time and I was laughing.

The next day I'd go for a consolidation day, just making sure I didn't over-eat, then I'd repeat the the cut the following day.

But I didn't stop myself from ever over-eating. I once went to the supermarket in the evening and ate a 5-pack of doughnuts before I got home (less than 5 minutes from the shop). But if I over-ate one day I'd make sure I'd under-eat the next.

I very quickly got a much better handle of when my eating exceeded my calorie burn and when it didn't. So now I can eat what I like, when I like, because I'm more in touch with how my innards feel and if I over-eat my stomach tells me about it and it's easy to then just not eat anything until I've burned that off.

That's the key to weight control - go eat a whole ****ing chocolate cake if you like, but then don't eat again until you can feel that the energy supply from the chocolate cake has been exhausted. You will instinctively seek out appropriate nutrition as and when you need it. Very few people actually would want to eat cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner, day in, day out.

I reckon too many people get so caught up and distracted by what they eat, they lose sight of the fact that it's how much you eat that determines weight gain/loss. Athletes and those with certain health conditions perhaps benefit from focussing more on nutrition, but the rest of us I don't think need to pay it much attention. That's a completely unscientific opinion, but how many people who are at a healthy weight die due to dietary misadventure?

Am I at my healthiest? Possibly not, I'm certainly not at my fittest. But I think that's nothing to do with my diet and much more to do with my lifestyle and medical history meaning I don't exercise regularly. If my injury ****ed off and I had a reason to get fit then I easily could.

Sorry, I've verbally vomited all over the thread. Ignore.

14. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Time for some changes.

Combining some of the p90x workouts (the ones I can do at home) with some dumbbell exercises plus diet.

Dumbbell workout looks like this:
    Dumbbell Squat: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Lunges: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Front Raises: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Incline Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Incline Flyes: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Deadlifts: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Triceps Press: 3 sets of 12 reps

Anything that requires a bench I use a medicine ball, and I'm not doing any crazy weights since I just started.

On top of this, diet im trying to cut out rice / carbs / bread, etc. If I want something sweet I may have a few pieces of fruit, but no more junk, etc. Breakfast is either yogurt and a banana and coffee or water, or I'll make some eggs.

Also got myself some "Ripped Freak Hybrid Fat Burner" which will help give me some energy, help convert fat to energy, and help control my cravings. My brothers have used it with success in the past. I also feel like by taking this, I'll be drinking a lot more water (they recommend 10 glasses a day), so that should also help.

Did the first dumbbell workout today, feel pretty good, nothing hurts too much, but we'll see tomorrow. Planning on starting off doing it every other day, after a few weeks work up the weight, than maybe within a month or so do it daily. I'll have to see how I feel / how my body reacts.

When I finally do get a job, I'm seriously considering joining a gym as it would open a lot of possibilities with equipment, etc.

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

My mate, who is solid has a tin of sweet corn to reduce his sugar cravings. I don't like sweet corn but I've been eating it instead of cake!

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The reason for my confusion is that I was reading on Tapatalk, and he's still on my ignore list, so the post just wasn't there. Having viewed the thread in a browser I understand now.

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Just trying to feel comfortable in my own skin again :)

18. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Mmmmm....chicken skin.......

Erm, anyhow. Weigh in tomorrow.

Fingers crossed I've lost another 2lbs.

I let myself have a treat meal, if I've lost over a 1lb.

19. Scroome

Scroome Modder

This week has been bad :(

Lukily, I haven't put anything on, but still, I was hoping to lose some this week.

Next week it's heads down for the final weight loss push.....before stuffing my face. :D

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm the same, but I've been unwell and usually my diet goes haywire when I'm unwell. All being well I'll be back on the diet after the weekend, once the green stuff stops pouring out of my nose.