1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Makes Your Life, Meh?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 10 Aug 2023.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah you say that but I still ended up at the wrong entrance :lol:.

The building is certainly easy to find but I went past a sign saying “Police Education Centre” before the main entrance, so turned around and went to that entrance instead… And bumped into a Dyfed-Powys police biker who happened to be helping with the morning session and had also gone to the wrong entrance :grin:

IanW likes this.
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There are times when AliExpress surprises and delights me with unexpectedly fast deliveries.

This is not one of those times.

I have pretty much everything I need to build a nearly silent, fast, NAS server... except the chassis. A week overdue and, according to the tracking info, it hasn't even left China yet. Fear not, they have a delivery guarantee policy - if your order arrives even one day late, you are rewarded with a discount voucher... worth £1. :grr:

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pete J, IanW and David like this.
  4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The PWM control on my cpu is, weirdly, randomly, suddenly... backwards...

By which I mean, the fan is at full speed at 0% and off at 100%

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can't get a picture out of the Acorn. I've got it hooked up with a D-sub to SCART cable with audio to my old TV. It's booting, I can hear the BOOP noise, but no picture.

Tried replacing the CMOS batteries.

Tried reseating the cable.

Tried holding down DEL while booting.

Tried pressing F12 and typing, blind, CONFIGURE SYNC 1 and CONFIGURE MONITORTYPE 0 before hitting Ctrl-Break.

Nowt. Boo-urns.

To add insult to injury, I can't even image the hard drive: it connects to my USB IDE adapter fine and reports itself as a "CONNOR P ERIPHERALS [sic] 210MB"... with a size of 2.2TB and constant read errors.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

[​IMG]

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Did you check the fuse next to the VGA socket?
    https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23872

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a 420/1, there's no VGA - just D-sub RGB and mono BNC.

I think I've found the problem, though: the SCART cable that came with it is missing Pin 16 on the SCART end entirely. This is RGB enable, and is what tells the telly to stop looking for a composite signal and look for RGB signals instead. It should go to Pin 5 on the D-sub end via a 270-ohm resistor, but... yeah, it's not there at all, Pin 5's floating.

I'm guessing that didn't matter for the monitor it used to have, but it ain't going to work with a TV without it. I've emailed a maker of SCART cables to check that his has the RGB enable pin in place, and if it does that should fix it.

Hopefully, anyway!

9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Private plate has popped up for okay-ish money, but definitely not money to flitter. Weirdly, one (reputable well known) site had it listed low while the others have it much higher. I've been negotiating on it and got them down a further 10%.

"X1 [3 initials]" so as close to "1 [3 initials]" or "[3 initials] 1"as you'd get without throwing stupid money at it.

Won't be doing it, but the price is so reasonable compared to what's on offer it almost certainly would make profit if resold at a later date...

Must not be such a tosser.

Pete J likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Found out that the weird "one second delay every few minutes" was not the fault of my old mouse and keyboard, it was the USB port they were connected to.

Ah well, I have nice shiny replacements now.

11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Well it's not like they are going to go off is it?

Pete J likes this.
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Virgin - there's nothing wrong with your internet, but we'll send an engineer out anyways

Engi - 300 detected/reported line faults... 2 new internal cables, 1 new external cable, multiple re-terminated connectors, change of how the landline works, and new router later...

But there's nothing wrong y'see....

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Had a bit of a verbal sparring match with a lorry driver who wasn't letting me merge from a two to one lane jobby, even though I was indicating to merge a good 200-300 metres beforehand to avoid being "that guy". The "silly man" even gunned it off from a red light and had to brake to stop hitting the bus in front (which I could've got in front of if I drove like your typical BMW driver).

Turned out he was turning onto the trading estate where I work. Would like to say I was the better man, but couldn't resist flooring it past him and giving some constructive criticism and a friendly wave minus a couple of fingers or so.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

People just do not know how to do a “zipper” merge at all. If the traffic is moving past 20-30mph or so then yeah, probably shouldn’t leave it until the merge point to change lanes. But if it’s slow moving traffic, queues for roundabouts/junctions, etc, then use all the available road space.

It can cause pretty serious problems if everyone’s crammed over into the left lane. You end up with queues of traffic snaking back and blocking junctions and roundabouts, despite having a perfectly clear right hand lane people could use to cut the queue size literally in half.

I get people being bellends at merge points when I’m on the bike as well. If it’s a particularly long queue of traffic there’ll almost always be at least one “lane police” car moving out to try and block me from using the right-hand lane (and it’s almost always a van, beemer, or an Audi). Like… my dude… just exactly what do you think you’re accomplishing here? Even if you come fully out into the right-hand lane I’ve still got room to get past you. In fact, go ahead and do it: pull into my lane to try and block me. I’ll have a damn good laugh when I just go around you anyway, and you lose your spot in the queue because someone else has moved into the space you occupied because it looked like you were trying to do the same thing I was. Bloody biker tw@ts, thinking the “normal rules” don’t apply to them, they’re always bloody using all the available space to make progress safely :hehe:

adidan, Pete J and mrlongbeard like this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Exactly that. The inner lane was crawling along at 5mph and I ended up in the outside lane sort of by accident (honest!) when joining from a roundabout.

adidan and Byron C like this.
  16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

There's a road near us, a quarter mile long with two lanes merging at the end. The entry has a BFO sign saying "use both lanes" but everyone queues in the left lane and it backs up onto the roundabout, which people then blindly block. It's infuriating, all the need to do is send a police officer down during rush hour to tap on windows and explain that they'll be ticketing people and the driver behaviour will change quicksmart.

Saying that, on the occasions that I use that road I drive all the way up the empty lane and merge, I've never had anyone try to block me.

Byron C and Pete J like this.
  17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Got a new colleague in an overseas office and he is one of those who expects things to get done as soon as he sends them. Got a project that is worth a fair bit, but the additional list of requirements such as certification, drawings, 3D models, company environmental certifications, past relevant projects, and so on is going to take weeks to sort out IF we had the resources to do it (man down at the moment, got a new engineer starting next month) and every day at least 2 or 3 times I am getting Teams messages of "any update?" "how about now?" "do you have anything I can send out yet?"...

Pretty sure that he has not looked through the list of documentary requirements to see what is actually needed and has just done the usual and forwarded it onto us.

He will learn... Oh yes, he will learn.

18. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Idiot/angry drivers on the road make my day. Go ahead pal, crash into me, my shitbox against yours.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Respond with "Progress stalled. Too busy fielding enquires from micromanagers". See how long it takes for the penny to drop. :rolleyes:

Almightyrastus likes this.
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

“Lane police” are par for the course when you’re a biker. I get it when filtering as well, people deliberately moving over in their lane to block me. I know they’re doing it deliberately because I’m watching mirrors to check if people have seen me; more often than not I’ll see the “lane police” looking at me in the mirror before they move over. No biggie - a space soon opens up that I can use to get past, and all they achieve is making themselves look like a big tw@t.

Don’t get many “lane police” on the roads I use now, but there are rarely filtering opportunities or lane merges on those roads. If anyone knows the area around Cardiff, the worst for it is heading in on A48 (after it splits off from the westbound M4 at J29 and the speed limit drops to 50). That entire stretch of A48 is a complete clusterfudge at the best of times, but it basically turns into a car park at rush hour. You wouldn’t believe how many people get triggered by a biker filtering past when they’re sat in static traffic.