1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What Makes Your Life, Meh?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 10 Aug 2023.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I did that with a cheap second-hand Olympus dictaphone I bought on FleaBay once. Worked really well, looked brand-new when I'd finished. It took a while, though, and the screen on the Olympus was a lot smaller than the lid on the Audio-Technica!

If it's that soft a swipe with a brush'll scar it, there's not much point buffing it out 'cos it's only going to happen again. I'll just live w' it!

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Computer says no. Apparently their credit requirements are extremely stringent and I don’t make the cut.

Well… piddle.

Nothing lost in asking though. We’ve still got the decision in principle from another lender, it just means that we’re definitely going for a flat now.

Hell, might even work out better in the long run. It’s still a high LTV - as high as it can currently get - but we can afford more than double the mortgage payments we’ll be making. Whether we over-pay the mortgage or chuck it in deposit-only savings, it’ll be a tidy sum at the end of the 5 year fixed interest period.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

TV has been playing up for a while but, switching it off at the mains then back on, has been enough to keep it working. With that in mind we have been switching it off over night. Recently though it has been getting worse and, yesterday refused to work properly at all, just a faint shadow of a picture.

We have a Freesat box so, I thought better try the TV’s own tuner, lo and behold it was fine so, thought it must be the box, which is cheaper than a TV, so ok.

Finally, after all that, thought I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI lead. Now absolutely fine, in fact the picture was better than it has been for a long time, all the original vibrancy is back.

This has been going on for months, getting steadily worse and, I have thought about doing something similar about it for a long time. But each time there was a problem, all was forgotten and I just switched off at the mains and back on.

Few things are more frustrating, than losing memory…

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

AT's official response: send it back to Amazon. Yeah, 'cos of one tiny foot they forgot to fit at the factory. And which they don't stock as a spare part, apparently.

Bought a pack of four from FleaBay for nine quid instead. Figured it's worth that much in my time!

In other meh news, I got the new SCART cable for the Archimedes: still no picture. No idea what's wrong now.

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Numberplate man has come back nearly a week later and pretty much matched my original very cheeky offer.

I shouldn't, and I won't, but I'll definitely regret not doing it later down the line.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Still can't get a picture out of the 420/1. I'm pretty certain that even with the new cable it ain't putting out the +3V Pin 16 needs to switch the display into RGB mode - at least, I can't find it with a multimeter.

So, I now need to build something that'll inject 3V in there... all because none of my displays have the option to force an RGB input. Bah.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Getting a big wad of money and having to use it to clear debt. Feels good not to be in debt, but feels meh having no money to splurge irresponsibly on more toys.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

near doubling of car insurance to 850 :eeek:......despite barely doing any miles and having a perfect driving record.:sigh:

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Cars in for its MOT, have a feeling I'm going to be furiously bent over and screwed.

soon as I arrive : sorry we can’t do it today and your 30 minutes late.

showed them them my booking, oh we will do it now, great start!

passed.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2024
  10. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

On that interaction alone, I'd refuse to use them again. Even if it meant an hour out of the way going somewhere else.

IanW likes this.
  11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

5 weeks tomorrow since my kitty died and for spilt seconds most days I still think I hear her pottering about somewhere in the house.

:sad:

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The family doggo (lives at my parents') is now 12, which means he's now old and is living on borrowed time (though the record for his breed is 25).

I don't want to think about what it's going to be like when that time comes around, especially my dearest mother, who actually panics if the garden back gate is ever accidentally left open.

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

Old never seems old enough, our girl was 18 and we were hoping she'd at least hit 20. Feisty little bugger, the only survivor of a premature litter so she did do damned well.

Still, it's always too soon but I guess that's the life of a pet and a pet owner.

With your mum, when the doggo does sadly go, some people manage well getting another pet pretty soonish. I mean, I'm not one of those people but for some it works.

Or just trundle on with the loss of a mate and wait, which is what we'll do. We have friends who couldn't handle it and never got a pet after losing their first which is also understandable.

Yeah, after we move again we'll think about another cat. Hard though it is I'd rather an older cat that just needs a place to chill.

Hope your doggo around is for a good while yet.

Pete J likes this.
  14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Working out what some of the differences between showers are, tempted to just go for a like for like to ease but would like to upgrade slightly if possible but seeing models with vastly different L/min at the same power, both cheap and expensive isn't making it clear what's actually going to be better.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Our eldest died in summer last year, and I still occasionally find myself wondering where she is.

adidan likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some friends of mine had advance warning that their rescue doggo was going (cancer), so they immediately adopted a youngling for the elder doggo to train up.

Pete J and adidan like this.
  17. adidan

:sad:

I didn't think I'd miss shovelling poop.

Yeah, that's works for some people. There's not a wrong way to deal with it tbh, sounded like a smart move on their part for them.

IanW likes this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Get yourself another cat, you know it makes sense!

Isitari and adidan like this.
  19. adidan

Ah we will do at some point.

Going to get a house move done first but then yeah I'll be able to take another kitty on. Still too soon for me anyway.

IanW likes this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

We didn't just get another kitten quickly because we like to have a cat around, it was also to stop the dog getting too used to the idea of being the only pet, which might have caused problems if we had waited much longer.

Although they generally get on well, the cat is now big enough, to be able to intimidate the dog into giving up his bed, just by standing close and giving him a hard stare!

Last edited: 9 Apr 2024
    adidan and IanW like this.