1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh such a shame. lol

However, most of the important stuff is on the m.2 drive and putting that in isac would mean tearing that down, so that's a no go. Still got 1 pump going so just going to reconfigure it into a single loop and finally install the redux fans I bought 6 months ago. :hehe:

xaser04 and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You see if you don't install things as soon as you get them then when something does balls up it's not a waste of time because you'd have to use that time installing them anyway. #logic :happy:

But don't tell me ISAC is just a pretty paperweight dude. :eyebrow::happy:

The_Crapman likes this.
  3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Where to start?

Work has been going down hill rapidly since before lockdown, probably started November last year, but its really gone off a cliff since beginning of August.
    At the end of May i get reassigned from the role i was recruited for to a grunt work role "cause stuff needs to get done" due to budget re-allocations as excrement was hitting the rotating air-circulation device on the project. Then in July I get given a choice of "opportunities" to move to next, basically which flavour of sh*t would i like to eat for the foreseeable future. I knew the role i "picked" was going to be bad, but it just keeps offering up new and inventive ways to make it even sh*tter. So much so i'm now considering leaving, and thats a whole pile of stress i dont need.

Alongside that working from home is a double-edged sword. Great to see more of and be able to be involved more in my children's day, but the wife seems to forget that I have a contract that means I HAVE to complete a certain number of hours per fortnight and EVERY week i am fighting for hours as the wife keeps eroding the hours I can work in, and if i refuse I end up in the dog house.

All whilst we're trying to get our extension finished that should have been done before lockdown, but delays around christmas pushed completion into lockdown, so now we are a week away from it been going on for a year, and its still going to be at least another few weeks before its "done". Don't get me started on the total balls-up the kitchen fit has been.

Oh, and to cap it off if I want any "me time" i have to sacrifice sleep, because there is no time during the days, and then i get moaned at for not coming to bed at the same time as the Wife (she goes to bed at 8 because she gets up at 5 "because she cant sleep").

Oh, and can i buy myself anything to cheer myself up? No, because the extension is eating up all our funds. I got guilt tripped for even asking if i could upgrade my phone without incurring any extra charges!

Anytime I suggest we might want to replace/upgrade/update/buy some form of tech not just for me, but also for the benefit of the household (replacement parts for the server, wireless access points so the wifi aint so rubbish), its a hard no, or worse, its a if you think its really necessary guilt-trip extraordinaire... But anytime the Wife wants something, oh its essential, I've been looking for ages and haven't seen one for this price, i don't buy much for myself, blah, blah, blah.

And its ok for the Wife to expect me to be able to support her through her stress, and to not complain when she takes it out on me by being antagonistic, accusatative and down-right critical of anything i do not being good enough. But the instant i let my stress get the better of me and snap at her, its like i've killed a puppy or something. Does she support me? No. If she asks if i'm ok (and she does this very infrequently), and i answer in the negative, there's no follow up, no support, nothing; she either ignores it, or takes offence gets upset, and I have to comfort her. I literally cannot "win".

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

/rant.

TL;DR - MadGinga is a SadGinga.

4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

What happens now, is it within warranty for a repair?

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

When I was thinking about what headphones to buy, earlier this year, considered the closed back LCD 2 but, dismissed them on weight grounds (almost 50% heavier than my Focals). May have dodged a bullet as only later read about reliability issues. A known common-ish issue with headphones that sell for around ₤1500 is damned poor, especially as most high-end hifi is pretty reliable.

6. The_Crapman

I haven't really done much on it no. Mainly cause it's upstairs on the desk and I can't sit there for too long and don't want to bring it downstairs to get plastered in cat hair before it's photoshoot at scan hq in the next week or 2. There's also no internet upstairs currently besides WiFi, which the board doesn't have. I've got a little dongle but I was only getting 1MB/s trying to download division last night and would take 12 hours. lol

Still got a few things to iron out and tune up on him which I was going to do this afternoon till this faff. Need to start trying to sit at a desk and train myself up for trying to get back to work.

7. adidan

* giggles like a child *

To be fair you had your head stuck in that build for along time and it tried to take various body parts off you so I don't blame you leaving it alone for a while.

Didn't realise there was still a photoshoot due, guess they want to get their monies worth - which is fair enough.

Anyway, your various ailments need a rest :happy:

8. The_Crapman

Pretty sure that builds given me PTSD or post natal depression. lol I've been resting too much and really stiffened up. Did the leg stretches for the first time in about 6 weeks and almost cried it was so painful, but loosened back up by the end.

I'm meant to be going to scan for a presentation and interview, but don't know if it will be happening now with increased lockdown shenanigans.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I can assure you that you're far from alone. While I'm 'lucky' enough to be single (grass is greener etc), the majority of my married friends have been going through the same thing. At the risk of being called a misogynist pig, there definitely seems to be a difference in what working from home during lockdown translates to for the different sexes :hehe:.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I bought mine when they were released, so no warranty. And, back then, nobody knew there were issues with the drivers.

I contacted the shop I bought them from and let's see what they can do for me. Been a customer there for years, so I hope for some sort of support.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently my shiny new bolt-action pen bolt-actioned when I was putting it away in a belt pouch... and the pouch dutifully soaked up the entire cartridge's worth of ink.

Good job it was already black!

12. adidan

Can't really relate TBH, the only extra thing my OH has asked of me was if she could borrow a spare keyboard.

She has the dining room in her days at home, I have the loft. Nice to have lunch together in the garden.

Mind you we have no little hoomans to deal with, thankfully, just a grumpy cat that seems to want more attention.

Fizzban, Pete J and perplekks45 like this.
  13. adidan

Sounds like it needs a safety catch and an owner's licence.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

At the very least mandatory training and a 14-day waiting period.

IanW and adidan like this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I have this image of her taking your keyboard and giving you the spare one :grin:.

Meh. Some seem to get on with it, others end up having to cope with the mini-mes etc during the day and working in the evening after the little ones have passed out.In my old job, I don't think I had a single meeting with the boss where at some point he didn't have to catch an escapee and hand them back to the warden.

adidan likes this.
  16. adidan

Ha, thankfully she can't stand me mechanical keyboards :happy:

Pete J likes this.
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You know when something tries to go down your windpipe and you start coughing? Well, you know when that is 'trying' to happen but you have a mouth full and you need to swallow it first or it will be SO much worse? I just had that. Horrible.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Cats & keyboards?

Arboreal, Pete J and adidan like this.
  19. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

No being able to buy anything from Scan or Overclockers cause the RTX3000 kiddies are clogging everything up

20. The_Crapman

So after the dead pump earlier we almost ended up with a dead cat. I had to move some flowers off the table to take my rig apart, put them on the shopping bag chest by the window. During the course on the afternoon Ralph joins me as my build buddy as usual. I go to make a coffee, he comes with and brushes past the flowers he's managed to get a big blob of pollen on his nose. Queue wrestling with the cat trying to clean it off him and from his side's too. Looks like he's been lying in turmeric, but I can't get any more off/out, probably stained, it'll come out eventually.

A little while later Lauren comes down and I tell her to check out Ralph. I laugh, she doesn't. "But lillies are poisonous to cats. :eyebrow: what the **** you bring them in the bloody house for then ffs! Look online, yeh, deadly to cats. ****. Call our vets, the vet has gone home, here's the emergency vet's number. Call them, not open. Call another vet, they tell me there's another vets of the chain we're registered with that should be open. Call them, speak to the nurse who's discussing with the vet. As I got it off and he hasn't likely eaten any, he should be fine, but I need to bathe him and keep an eye on him over night. I end up sat in the bath, fully clothed, wrestling and consoling the poor soggy kitty.

He's just about dried now. We've made him a new bed with Lauren's favourite blanket on the reclining arm chair. So far all good. Still permanently hungry, still alert. He's also still my friend despite what I've put him through. Poor little guy.

Vault-Tec, adidan, IanW and 2 others like this.