1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Cold boot in Win8 is faster. You just need to hit "Restart", and see how much it takes.
    Restart doesn't do the fast boot system. This is done on purposes so that if you change your hardware or install a driver or update one you are not screwed.

2. GoodBytes

-> They are way better and lighter programs and free: See Trillian 5
    -> You don't need
    -> Built-in Windows already.
    -> You don't need. #1 You don't need to have it startup, #2 Win8 already can load ISO's.
    -> You don't need.
    -> You don't need.

Your list should be 1 item.

Also my 4 year old laptop, Core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM DDR2, Quadro NVS 160M, boots Windows 8, in 11sec to usable desktop. Restart takes 19sec. It has an OK SSD nothing special: Corsair Force GT 120GB on SATA-2. As startup I have: Dell Control Point, Alps touchpad, and Nv GPU Pro

So I don't know why Windows takes so long to boot for you. You should look into it.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2012
  3. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

"It's available this month on EE for 4G connectivity or Orange and T-Mobile for 3G. It's available SIM-free for around £445, so expect it to be free on contracts above £35 per month."

Source, cnet review.

Cheaper than the iPhone5, but more expensive than high end Android devices.

I'm going to get one too. Orange have always agreed to give me my new phones for free on my £20pm contract after a little persuading, hopefully this will be the same.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Actually :
    MSN - IM+, Miranda, million lightweight alternatives ?
    Steam - doesn't slow the boot even a bit. Sure, it takes some time to start it, but i usually use my computer long time before Steam finishes loading, and the computer is long time done booting.
    MSE - Did you actually installed it in W8 ? Do you realize MSE is INSIDE Windows 8 ?
    Deamon Tools - lightweight tool, shouldn't take more than miliseconds to load.
    iTunes - no comment.
    Live Mail - Metro Mail application ?

Sure, Steam and iTunes will take some time to finish their loading, but i wouldn't count them in boot time. Your computer is very usable at the time those apps still load. Even in Windows 7.

German shops have them listed for 599 EUR or more, so i don't know who to trust. On other side, you guys in UK had mobile stuff usually cheaper, not even talking about contract prices... :(. If i would take your price, convert it to EUR, that would give me a 555 EUR minus 258 EUR price discount from the operator, that means 297 EUR price at 43 EUR monthly contract here in Slovakia

5. dullonien

Not sure why it's taking so long for you. I've not even got an SSD and my system boots to the login screen in ~15-20sec, then another ~15 sec till usable desktop.

You have Microsoft Security Essentials as one of the programs that starts on startup. Just to make sure, you do know that Win8 has anti-virus by default? MSE has been re-named as Defender. As Goodbytes says, you don't need Demon tools anymore. I'd suggest having a look with ccleaner to see if there are any more startup programs you can disable.

Not too fussed what the rrp is, so long as Orange give it to me for free. I was meant to pay £150 for my HTC Mozart when I upgraded last time, but it took 30sec for me to haggle it down to a free upgrade + adding unlimited txts and 500mb internet to my existing contract.

6. GoodBytes

Yes, after some research, remove MSE. It uses the same definitions and is well identical as Windows Defender in Windows 8. So one is not better than the other.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

As I've said before I never reboot enough to care, can't ever say I sit at my computer waiting on it as I go make a cup of tea or do stuff around the house if its been turned off.

Did not know about security essentials that can go.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I tried to install MSE and it said it was already installed, Have to say apart from a couple of things win 8 is ok really

Last edited: 4 Nov 2012
  9. dullonien

Quick question regarding the xbox music app. Is there any way to quickly jump to a specific artist in the 'my music' section? The usual way of starting to type the artist does nothing. I also tried clicking on the letter heading (such as a, b, c) to see if I could then select the relevant letter (in the same way jumping to a certain letter in the phonebook on Windows Phone works, but nothing. It's not the end of the world, but a little irritating with a large collection to have to scroll through in order to reach a specific artist.

Edit. Just thought, they expect me to open the charms bar and search from there don't they? If so, that needs to change. Why didn't they take a little more functionality from the zune program, that was perfect except for the non touch friendly interface.

10. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

After doing a wipe and clean install all issues with BF3 are gone :)

11. impar

impar Minimodder

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

13. GoodBytes

I like RetroUI.. why get one of the many free solution out there, or why copy the shortcut to go on the desktop to the startup folder, when you can simply buy this 6$ software.

I still never understood any of this. If you going to click on your web browser or wtv once at your desktop, why just not click on the start screen. Silly.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

None of those solutions would exist if Microsoft had offered a choice.

15. dullonien

MS probably still made the right decision though. It's p***ed off a lot of people, but ensures that everyone using a windows based device becomes familiar with this type of user interface. Why have they done this? Because they realise that touch (or at least gesture based) input is the future. It's not a coincidence that the majority of everyday consumers first abandoned desktop computers in favour of laptops, and are now doing the same in favour of tablets, they are simply more versatile for what they require, i.e. browsing the internet, watching youtube clips and writing the odd e-mail. Portability matters. How long did it take for touch based mobile phones to almost completely take over the mobile marketplace? I owned one of the first fully touch screen phones, the LG Viewty, that was only two phones ago (3-4 years), I can see the same thing happen to laptops.

The next evolution in computer input is touch, which is already here and will dominate the near future. It's usefulness on a desktop machine is probably extremely limited (who wants grubby fingerprints on their monitors), but that doesn't mean that it won't be very prevalent on all mobile devices (laptops, ultrabooks, tablets and phones). Forcing everyone to use the same interface means there is no segregation, so everyone is just as comfortable using all windows devices, regardless of their platform. IMO, this is all part of a plan to force their way into the tablet market because MS realises that it's an area of the market that will only grow, as will cross platform compatibility (see xbox smartglass etc.). Getting people familiar with this interface on their computers at work, at school (looking long term), and on their laptops and desktops will make them more likely to decide to chose a Windows based tablet (and phone) due to familiarity and compatibility. Having everyone use the 'modern' interface will also increase the amount of people using the Windows store. Because that seems to be such an important part of the ecosystem on phones and tablets (I don't understand exactly why), then building the library as quick as possible is essential to the potential success of Windows tablets and phones. Just one look at how many people have already migrated to Windows8 will draw the developers to release their apps in the Windows store as well as on other platforms, they'd be nuts to simply ignore the millions of potential customers the Windows store is already open to, and that will increase massively in next to no time.

For the record, I can see a similar system to Xbox's Kinect used as another way of navigating the touch friendly user interface of windows8 (or future OS's) especially on a desktop. The ultimate goal for user input? Direct connection to a person's thoughts, the sooner the better. I can't wait to use just thought to build a 3d model of a house, realtime creation.... anyway, this is going waaay off topic......... Sorry about the rant, wasn't planning on anything more than a line or two.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Now we have better multi monitor compatibility through Win8 is there a way to order specific applications to open on specific screens by default.

For example, I want VLC player to open on my TV.

I also want games like Dead Space 2 (which I open through Steam and play with a Xbox pad) to open on my TV.

17. GoodBytes

Well, you can open the program, move it to the screen you want, and close it. Next time you open it, it will open where you last open it.

You can do Win+[direction] on a focused program to snap on the side, and when done a second time with the same direction where your second monitor is, transfer to the other screen.

Games will open on the primary monitor (unless the game support multi-monitor support, which the ability to set which monitor the game starts). This has to do with the game. If you can put your game into window mode, move it to the second screen, and now go until full screen, then it will do what you want. Else then that, you are stuck with the main monitor being where your games and programs starts for the first time.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Mostly agree on your post, using their desktop dominance to force users to learn a new UI available in touch-devices, but Microsoft offering an alternative wouldnt really hurt their goals. Not ofering alternative just shows lack of confidence on the new UI, Microsoft had to incline the playing field to one side to prevent users from choosing the classic UI.

Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster

Croteam developer about W8:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33268524&postcount=16

19. GoodBytes

Actually, I took is the opposite. I see them as being confident in the new UI. If they were unsure they would give you the option to make Windows 8 look like Windows 7, and Classic Windows.
    No they are confident that this is the way forward. So it ends up simply as: if people don't like, they won't buy it. So this is a big risk. Doing what they did is very confident.

Another reason why if they offer the old way, no one will transition to the new way, and with the old way, it breaks the entire Modern UI, and NOW you have the "different UI world" going on, which is is what people are asking for on by installing these Win7 Start Menu replica apps (technically Microsoft can sue nearly all of them, as they use the Windows logo without permission (its a trademark), and interface falls under Microsoft patent. But so far Microsoft is playing the good guy.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands