1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks a lot everyone. :)

I haven't thought about lighting................yet.

Yes indeed, I do have a full time job. I work between 9 and 12 hours a day including travel.
    I work permanent night shift, here's a run down of today: Got home from work at 6am hit
    bed at 6.30am, got up at 10.30am, shower, food and moved my car into the garage (I had
    to clean the membrane from the vaporiser in the LPG gas system) test drive car and do the
    shopping on the way. Quick tidy of the house and done by 1pm. Out to the workshop and
    spent the next three hours making what follows. At 4pm pick up Anika from childcare ( my
    wife drops her off in the morning on the way to work). Feed and entertain Anika until bath
    time at 6pm. while she is in the bath I make a start on dinner and download the photo's I've
    taken while in the workshop and juggle making dinner with resizing pic's and uploading to
    photobucket. Anika wants to get out of the bath at 6.35pm, put on her jamas and put on
    a DVD for her to watch in bed. Eat dinner at my desk while writing out this post, wash up
    around the kitchen, get dressed for work, intermmitantly attending to Anika,s requests.
    Wife gets home at 7.20pm, say a few words, I leave for work at 7.30pm. OK, I'm off tonight
    but that's the usual, I don't stop for a minute and I can get everything done and while I
    don't always have time to get into the workshop, most days I can.

[​IMG]

I can't measure up the cover so my attention was drawn to the power/reset swtches.

[​IMG]

The first thing that struck me was how many options I have here. At least five locations
    that would be suitable without thinking too hard. But I thought I may have a look at what
    it would look like if the switches went here.

[​IMG]

But I need to make the part to have a proper look. Some of you may recognise this piece
    of 3mm alu from one of the trials for the top of CX1.

[​IMG]

It's cut and finished in the usual way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting the switches so they are OK from the front is easy enough, but there is not much room
    on the back for the locking nuts to rotate.

[​IMG]

Don't have drill bits big enough for the holes (22 & 16mm) so 10mm holes are drilled and
    then filed to the right size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just enough room for the nuts to be done up.

[​IMG]

Well, it's different but I don't know if I like it. I'll just live with it for a while and see if
    it doesn't grow on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course there is a problem. The switches stick out so far on the inside that my plans
    for the cover here are trashed.

[​IMG]

Like I said, I'll just go away and think about it. :D

Back soon. :)

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Aniki Stinson

Aniki Stinson In cornichons we trust.

I can hear the Supercar engine from hear ! :jawdrop: Very impressive.
    [NB : The first time, I read your daughter's name was Aniki ^^ ]

Grimloon likes this.
  3. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

That is some really elegant modding. Only if I could be that simplistic! Keep up the great work.

4. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

I just joined because of your work and want to say thank you for sharing. Also, for sharing a small window to your personal world, lovely daughter you have. Wow, your glass is quite full . I'm new to this pc modding/building world. I'm just now planning my first build and I'm not satisfied with the cases i've seen on the market. I'm also a musician. When you write a song you have an idea. Then as you go it takes a life of it's own. you guide it while it guides you. Is that how you feel when creating?
    I'll be watching and learning.. many thanks

5. shah

shah Minimodder

Good God the pieces are falling into places now :D. very impressive.

6. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Your day sounds awfully full, I find it amazing that you can juggle all of those things and still can come up with something like this.

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

I like the unsymmetrical power switch but I'm sure I will like the other ideas if you do them. So I give no advice beside think about it.

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The switch placement looks great, doesn't look out of place at all.

9. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Like this one?[​IMG]:D

10. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

I love all the outside-the-box (literally) thinking that you use in this build, and the others previous. You sir, are an inspiration. Every time I view this log it makes me want to go out to the garage and bend some aluminum. Outstanding. :thumb:

11. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Minimalistic art for the win! Man I love everything on these mods you do! No more words left to describe this build!

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hate it!

Subbed...

13. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

For this alone you are my hero.

Thank you for sharing and showing that it is possible to perform magic in this world even with a family and kids.

Hat's off to you kind sir.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:jawdrop:You are a lot shorter than I imagined. :)DThat joke never gets old...)

I like the switch arrangement. It reminds me of a fractal pattern.

If you don't like it you could always make a... Oh, crud I can't describe what's in my head. BRB...

Edit:[​IMG]
    One of those.^

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I have to admit that when I see a worklog you've done I feel a mixture of inspiration and despair. Inspiration because you show how much can be done by hand with care and attention to detail but despair that I may never be able to produce something even a hundredth as good (I'd be happy with that TBH).

Then again, it doesn't mean that I won't have a go simply that I'm on design revision number 354 (so far) as every bugger and his cousin display another way that something can be done with yet more style and panache. I reckon you've caused about 15 revisions with this build so far, it'll probably be 50 + by the time you're done :D

Mod on sir, you've yet again shown that creating something of beauty can be done without CNC even getting a sniff and so are a shining light for all of us with just the average garage (all be it lacking the drill stand, bending brake, definitely missing anything that can put a curve in metal other than BBH (bloody big hammer) but apart from that pretty standard).

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

lopsided ballsack?

murtoz likes this.
  17. prettynifty

prettynifty What's a Dremel?

This is looking great, i don't know how you do it with that busy agenda of your's. :jawdrop:

I like cheaps idea, allthough it might be a bit of a challenge to work it out with the cable management.

isn't that supposed to be in cheaps log somewhere. :confused:

prettynifty,

18. shomann

shomann Minimodder

@ oldnewby - brilliant work as always and thanks for sharing your routine as its all too easy to imagine you dedicating full 16 hour days to your projects. Since we are on the kick of semi-personal question posing, I have another one. Does your family realize your fame or your impact? Or is your computer art seen as just a crazy hobby?

@cheaps - I was thinking of suggesting something similar - sort of like the flying plug arrangement you have shown. Honestly, either way will look good IMVHO.

19. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

My first post :D

Your work's fantastic - you're an inspiration to all of us. Not even a sniff of CNC. :jawdrop:

Another MOTY?

Keep up the great work!

20. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Yesno.

That looks more like 99% function, 1% form.

I'd have to make it at least a little bit sexier than that.
    And everything would be sleeved.

Last edited: 14 May 2010