1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Level Eleven

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 1 Mar 2010.

1. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Amazing work, Stunning infact! Well done!

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Personally think it should be kept as far away as possible from the Level 10. That case is a monstrosity that sags when it's fully loaded (yeah, go one you pervs).

This is what the Mortal Kombat voice-guy-thing would call "FLAWLESS VICTORY" :thumb:

Also, rep bomb commenced! :D

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Skorchio!

Ha Ha No dissing the Level 10 because I don't need BMW Designworks Gestapo banging on my door in the middle of the night.

Before this thread fades off into the modding sunset I am presenting a little sneak peek at what's coming next. What else was in the VIA box?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The VIA VB8003 Mini-ITX mainboard. The most unique feature of this board is the integrated onboard graphics card. Yes...I said it. Instead of a wimpy onboard graphics chip VIA actually soldered the components of an S3 graphics card onto this motherboard. Two cooling fans. One for the CPU and another for the GPU.

[​IMG]

VGA, DVI and two...two HDMI ports. Four monitors at once. But for me the most exciting feature are the audio-out ports. My powerful but old-school stereo system doesn't support SPDIF but it can rock RCA plugs all day long. The VIA VB8003 has Left and Right channel RCA jacks. Oh yes!

[​IMG]

Another interesting thing about this board is the use of dual SODIMM memory sockets. I'm assuming that was necessitated by the space used by the graphics components.

This project will happen soon because I've been sitting on this board since early March. Stay tuned.

4. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

So I'm guessing a media computer is in the works...

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thermaltake responds on their Facebook page:

"We tip our hat to Jeffrey Stephenson. His latest creation, "Level Eleven", is making rounds at major technology medias today. This is nothing short of great worksmanship!! And we are proud to be able to inspire such a project. Creator's page can be found here: http://slipperyskip.com/page29.html
    By: Thermaltake Technology Inc"

I thought that was kinda cool. Of course, if I tried to make a business selling the Level Eleven the response would be slightly different LOL

6. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Sweet from them.
    Can"t wait to see what you will do with this new board.

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

They will get better marketing response from a such a simple, positive statement. However, plenty of companies don't understand such a straightforward concept, so nice one Thermaltake.

As for your finished goods slipperyskip... very cool.

8. Reverse

Reverse Reverse/srvR

Sweet man, great they mentioned you!

9. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I love it! I've had a few ideas based on that case since I first saw it as well, but kudos to the clean look.

I'm sure it's much lighter, anyway :naughty:.

10. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

Sublime craftsmanship, looking forward to the next one!

11. BigBazz

BigBazz What's a Dremel?

Nice work skip this has turned out terrific as expected ;)

Thats pretty cool to have feedback from thermaltake about this project but wasnt your project based more from another mod?

Anyways its still a clean looking project very well executed look forward to the next project. Can you disclose whether we can expect another slipperyskip trademark timber mod or are you going to use another medium?

12. omicron

omicron Baud.

Saw this on Giz!
    Great job, skip. Love that wood.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:rock: Awesome :thumb: :clap:.

14. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Just wanted to say that this is an amazing build mate, I spent all afternoon reading through your log and am in total awe - well done!

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Congratz on the recognition from Tt :thumb:.

Seeing all these SFF mods really wanna make me start my mini media PC mod but with a trip to New Zealand just around the corner my funds are extremely restricted :(.

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Wow skip, congrats on getting TT to give you some lovin. That is just awesome. Also, if you didnt say so, I would have assumed the mobo a few posts up was Nano-ITX (odd port arrangement, IDE in place of PCI slots, etc). Keep it coming dude.

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I'm narrowing down some ideas.

Thanks shomann!

They did get a lot of free advertising. Now they owe me. LOL

Thanks. It's still a liitle chunk even for it's size. I was afraid the HDMI cable would pull it off the shelf.

Thanks devilxc!

Thanks BigBazz! Edelweiss was always the real inspiration from a technical point-of-view. Level 10 helped with the individual boxes idea.

Thank you duckies!

:thumb:

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks mate! Have fun in NZ. I wish I was going.

Thanks null. That's a Mini-ITX board. Seems huge after working with a Pico board. :D

I'm working on a special photo shoot for a new sponsor (better late than never). I was wondering how this photo looks? Is it too light? Can you clearly make out the Windows 7 on the DVD? Is the background pink? I would apprecaite the feedback. I'm continuing to have a lot of trouble getting my lighting sorted out. Photos I have posted before have looked too orange to me. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

[​IMG]

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Windows 7 is easy to see.
    Background has a pink tint to it.
    The wood does have an orange tint as well.

19. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

It is a bit light imo. I can see the Win7 logo clearly, but the background is very "Mary Kay" pink. What do you have your white balance set at? Indoor lighting requires 2800-3700K depending upon the bulbs.

20. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Wood is kind of orange.
    The background has a pink tint.
    I can easily tell that's a Win7 disk.