1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Anime

Discussion in 'General' started by Bentos, 12 Jan 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I must say that you have to watch it... Bindi this is one of the best I have seen. I am also not a huge anime fan either. I liked DBZ cause it was cool. I liked Naruto casue its everything DBZ wasn't and still 10x cooler. The fights are awesome, the dialouge is hillarious sometimes or really heartfelt. Its got the quality of some good dramas but still has the affect of a cartoon with the coolness of a Action movie and a Anime.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea, stuff in the last 5 years is usually the best i find, in terms of animation and story (although there are a few exceptions obviously). Its also easier to get hold of on fansub (if unlisenced ;)) or DVD.

Ive got Rahxephon DVDs and FMP on order from the US, should be here next month :D (FMP disk 7 not out till 1st week of Feb). Got FLCL disks the other day, truely genius. Owning the legitimate DVDs are 1000x better than any fansub or bootleg anyday. *Cant wait* until GITS:SAC DVDs are out, i will literally be bouncing round the room which i get it.

I prefer a complete series too, im only waiting on ROD TV which is still being aired in jap, but itll be another 2 years before the english dub and R1 DVDs are out :(:(:(

I think cause ive never had sky ive never seen dbz/gundam blah so never got into them that way.

Prob with Naruto is that its got >50 eps?? Right? If i watch it, ill have to see it all and that's a lot of commitment :/ Im not a fan of anything dbz tbh, even the fighting.

3. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

i tend to stick with fansubs, and buy the dvds if i really like the series (like love hina).
    im an impatient so&so, so hate waiting for the dvds to become available. plus i really like the subbed eps over the dubs, i know that dvds have multi language and sub options, but the dubs never seem to do the anime justice (in my experience). hellsing for example: american voice actors, playing cockeny vampires, just appauling.

and yes, naruto is up to ep 65, with 66&67 (hour special) nxt week, so it is a huge commitment. i was lucky enough to find out about it a long time ago, so have been there pretty much since the start.

Bentos

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Well I just bought the Cowboy Bebop episodes and movie on DVD so they had better be good :)

5. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Outlaw Star
    Witch Hunter Robin

I dont think anyone mentioned those 2 yet. They have to be my favorite series.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh come on you picked the WORST dubbing example ever :p Hellsing should never have been dubbed like that.. ever, its just wrong. I do prefer fansubs, in the way that they let me sample new series and also they often give extra information about the background or meanings of certain things that westerners wouldnt understand. I also prefer to buy the whole series in 1 go :)
    But you gotta admit dubs are better if you dont want to spend the whole time staring at the bottom of the screen reading instead of taking in the animation and/or pausing it every 30 seconds todo both. Also, some of the DVDs have nice extras on it. Stuff like FLCL and Excel Saga you HAVE to watch dubbed cause the former has one of the best dubs going and makes 10000x more sence that trying to read the subs, and youve no hope in hell if u try to watch excel saga subbed.
    I cant wait for the true GITS:SAC dvds on dub cause i dont understand WTF is going on in some of the epsiodes, even with all the extra sub details in them :(

7. hsp70

hsp70 What's a Dremel?

i'm currently watching

naruto, one piece, rod tv, and prince of tennis :)

Anime is so varied in genre it's kinda hard to pin down a favourite. But i'd probably go with slam dunk.

btw. nat66-67 is out now. :D

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Watch the series 1-23 first, then the movie, then 24-26.

hsp - ROD TV 17 + 18 out as of last Thurs.

9. JADS

That is what I tried to do, but I am having problems with the episode DVDs. They start off playing fine, but at just over the 2 hour mark all hell breaks loose and they stutter like mad, then pause for ages and finally stop all together and throw up an error (to the effect of it cannot read the disc). I know the first two DVDs do this and I am investigating the third, the DVDs are as far as I can tell genuine Perfect Sessions DVDs. Although I must admit to being suspicious as I did buy them from EBay and although the packing looks genuine it lists an email address at the end which is a Yahoo account, not what you'd expect if a company were responsible for putting them together. The discs are in excess of 4.5GB though, which suggests dual layer. I have tried ripping them to see if I could get the data on my hard drive and watch it from there and I encountered the same issue, speeds dropped around the 3.5GB mark to less than 1x and then it stopped altogether and threw up an error. T

It is either a problem with a discs or my Creative Encore DVD6240E.

10. Le Tordu

Le Tordu What's a Dremel?

Cowboy Bebop is awesome at every point (music, animation, characters, story) ! Some times funny, some times really dark ambience, this is an anime that has become a reference a reference !

But my favourite is FLCL, too difficult to explain why, but those fully crazy (but really interesting, good story, excellent characters) anime has my voice ! :rock:

Other good animes :
    - Love Hina + Again
    - GTO
    - Abenobashi
    - Lain
    - Trigun
    - Noir

On the movie side I'd say Jin-Roh :thumb: and Akira... Haven't seen lots of Miyazaki...

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Na, youve got the bootleg version from Taiwan. 3 Disk box set, yahoo email address and Region 0 NTSC? The writing on the front down the bottom has a gramatical error with the comma in the wrong place? They are 3.5hr disks, i have the same ones, bought in error thinking they were the proper thing too :( i didnt know any difference at the time but mine work fine. I got them off an american company not ebay so it shows you gotta be uber careful :(

http://www.dvdpacific.com/search.asp?title=cowboy+bebop

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/

Shipping from Aus is practically the same as the US, its about £70 for the whole set. Advantage of shipping from Aus is that they are PAL encoded and often have more DVD features.

Le Tordu - I found Lain boring :/ didnt really get it that much, bit too cryptic for my liking. I cant understand why so many people like Noir too, ive seen 4 eps and it bores the hell outa me. There's no continuity and a SERIOUSLY boring first episode. The music is terrible too :/

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jan 2004
  12. JADS

I blame region encoding. If there was a genuine version made available at say Play I would have bought them. So these discs here I have are essentially illegal and I paid £20 for them? Well that sucks.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But at the end of the day, did u really expect £20 for a whole series??

Ebay never has bargins unless the people are retarded. Just send the disks back and get ur money back.

There's no problem with importing region 1 disks mind.

14. JADS

Cowboy Bebop is extremely good and has one of the best endings to the series I have seen in a long time.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So i assume you managed to get it to work then?

16. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

anyone seen "NightWalker"? rented the first volume the other day, pretty good watch, though it kinda drags out at times

17. JADS

Yes I think it was a heat issue.

18. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

My favorites:
    Lupin the Third. Especially Castle of Cagliostro and the tv shows.
    Ghost in the Shell
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    FLCL
    Oh My Goddess
    Trigun
    Cowbay Bebop
    Anything from Miyazaki :D

19. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Being fairly boring I'd just say AKIRA.
    Man that film kicks ass.

20. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Hehe, Naruto is one of the best around at the moment, Stellvia of the Universe is pretty good too.

Just came across a series called Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi... I know the title sounds a bit lame, but its actually really funny... the animation is as good as FLCL, and its a whole lot easier to understand!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.