1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mountain biking thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by JuMpErFLY, 26 May 2006.

1. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

My fleet;

XC: Kinesis Maxlight, RS Revelations, Hope hubs/brakes, Mavic rims, Sram 8spd groupset with just 2 rings at the front (granny is useless and heavy ;)), Shimano HollowtechII cranks.

[​IMG]

Street/DJ: Revell 250r, DMR Trailblades, Hope hubs/brakes, 24" DMR DV rims, 3pc BMX cranks.

[​IMG]

Commuting: 1980s Falcon Rap(i)er with original rainbow decals, Shimano Sora/Mavic wheels, Specialized bar tape with the lovely squishy bits, Spesh commuting tyres and singlespeed all the way.

[​IMG]

2. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

i want to buy a specializedfsrxc frame or something similar and build it up.

3. orb

orb satisfying.

I'm jealous of your 250r :(

4. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

Yeah it is lovely to ride...literally just fitted those rigids and it made a massive difference...so much easier to throw about. I've also got some 2003 Z1 Drop-offs that I use on it for some of the more bumpy bits.

5. orb

orb satisfying.

How much did it cost ya? Im thinking about building a little dirt jump bike like that. :

Also, my dad does alot of cross country riding, and i want to follow him around a bit, enjoy the mountains and stuff. He said he'd buy me a bike, but i want to be able to use it for dirt jumping too, i'd like it to be hardtail. Anyone have any ideas?

6. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Santa Cruz Chameleon! Assuming you have £400 to spare for a frame ;) or try and get one second hand

7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Probably cost him about a 1000-1300 I woulda thought.

How much can you spend is the big question, if you want to be dirt jumping without breaking stuff or having an overly heavy bike for XC then its going to have to be closer to grand. If thats too much then consider looking on ebay for the more expensive components.

As a rough guide you want...

26" wheels / an alloy frame no bigger than 16" / forks no more than 4" travel (or rigid) / Single ring with a chain device (38T ring is a good allrounder) / 8 speed / Hydraulic discs

8. orb

orb satisfying.

that spec sounds nice for djing, but not really xc, rigid ugh, ive been riding downhill on big sofas all my life, i aint going rigid :p .

i'll probably have a look at some bikes when i go to andorra this year

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Its a sad day boys and girls, ive split my rear fir rim, I am not happy, the front is on its way out too. Just been to the bike shop and its gonna cost over £100 for some new DT Swiss's with DT Swiss spokes. roll on tuesday so I can get back on the road.

10. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click for big!!
    Cannondale Chase 3All stock :)

Don't tell my parents i kept it in the kitchen while they were away...

11. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Well I picked up some Crank Bros Candy Ti - there second hand:

[​IMG]
    - just going to get some shoes and then my rides all ready for the late summer when I can finally get out!

Oh and i know red will look odd with a blue bike :p

12. Strategy

Strategy Banned

Spray paint?

13. Smiere

Smiere What's a Dremel?

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad backfrom driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.
    What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Who on earth are you talking to? :idea:

15. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

My thoughts exactly. :confused:

My bike, until recently, was a 20-ish year old Hutch, with gear changers that used little levers where the front thing that lets you turn meets the frame. It had a speedometer/pedometer/whatever thing that cost about twice as much as the bike. It's gone now. I might get a new bike if I can convince my parents that I'll ride it. Problem is, my driveway slopes 350-400 feet UP to the road, at between a 15 and 30 degree angle (at various points). The road then slopes down in either direction, one side with a dangerous blind hairpin turn, the other side with two tight twists ending in a sharp drop-off if you aren't fast enough, which needed a safety mirror for the parents waiting for the bus. :p The side road across the street is boring as hell, but safe enough to ride. Damn.

16. orb

orb satisfying.

k ;o

17. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Guess the thread, its a new game :p