Cases Thinking of Watercooling - What cases?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 28 Apr 2011.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

A jet plate is a plate inside the block that increase turbulence and therefore cooling.

If you've got the space for a triple rad then I'd get one rather than a dual rad as that will give you extra headroom.

Unless you're folding i.e. heavily loading both the GPU and CPU at the same time then a single loop will be fine

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Awesome im with you now. Do the blocks come with the different jet plates?

So far it looks like i need the following:

1x res (no idea which one, but i like the drive bay ones)
    1x pump (variable speed)
    1x dual radiator with 1/4 thread (possibley Thermochill TA 120.3 or black ice SR1)
    1x CPU block (either EK Supreme LT with jet plate 2, or Heatkiller 3.0 or something else)
    1x GPU block (no idea where to get this from yet)
    A load of tubing
    coolant
    1/2" compression fittings

Something like that anyways

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

5. Big Elf

Some blocks come with a few plates others either don't have them or just have a single plate.

For coolant then deionised water and a biocide/silver kill coil are best and cheapest

The Thermochill rad is a triple whereas the SR1 you linked to was a dual.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I really like the look of that Jeff - v.nice find.

Thanks for all the help pete / trash and Jeff + elf and the others. Going to sling some rep your ways for putting up with my silly questions.

7. bulldogjeff

That's what we're here for Bobby. We all knew nothing once. Well the other may have known nothing at one point but I was a right know it all according to my mum, so therefore I must know everything....lol.

8. Big Elf

We all had to start somewhere and in my case I made a lot of silly mistakes by not doing enough research or asking the right questions when I built my first loop.

I would still recommend the D5 mainly because it's powerful, very quiet and will cope with future expansion. A pump in a bay res can transfer resonance to the case which could be difficult to remove but that just a personal bugbear with me.

EDIT: Just to add about a D5. A single one has enough pressure to go through a moderately restrictive CPU block, 2 quad rads, 2 restrictive full cover GPU blocks and still have sufficient flow rate to the point where I have to turn it down to setting 1 (slowest) before my temps increase .

9. thetrashcanman

sorry to thread hi-jack a bit :p

:O can't wait to get my loop up and running now :D, do you have to wait until the is water flowing through the pump before you can change the speed? Like you wouldn't be able to change it when the system is off?

10. bulldogjeff

I would bleed it first and get all the air out. The extra turbulence could end up dragging bubbles back round the loop. Then crank it up.

11. Big Elf

Once your loop is full of water you can adjust the pump speed 'on the fly' i.e. while the system is running. You can also change it when it's off, it's just a potentiometer. It's easier to fill and bleed the system by having it run at a lower speed. I also bought a cheap PSU (changed the fan for quiet one and made a switch box) which I use for filling my loops which doesn't put my main PSU under stress when switching on and off 'bumping' the pump.

thetrashcanman likes this.
  12. thetrashcanman

cheers jeff :) shall pm you tomorrow about the cpu, think I've worked out how to do bank transfer :)

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

When I was doing my leak tests and main loop bleeding I left my D5 on full (it still is and is silent) but I found as soon as it clears of air it purges the system really fast, basically blasting the air out :)

14. thetrashcanman

Cheers elf, + rep and thanks pete :)

15. Big Elf

Just in case you're interested the cheap PSU I use to fill my system is this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/20083

I actually got 2 for the price of 1 as the 1st one was defective but I fixed it after they'd sent me the replacement.

16. thetrashcanman

Oh I am so glad i kept my dads old crap box of a psu, I can use that rather than buying one :D, but cheers for the link big elf

17. Big Elf

You don't have to use another one but after I've refilled about 40 loops (judging by the empty containers in the garage) I've already knackered 1 PSU by the regular switching on and off when filling and bleeding. It was a decent Corsair one too.

18. thetrashcanman

:| don't want to do that to my lovely enermax one, did you knacker the whole unit or just the switch?

19. Big Elf

It was something in the PSU because it didn't work even after I'd replaced the switch.

20. bulldogjeff

Thats actually quite a good point about the PSU, it's not some thing I'd ever thought about before. I normally jump start the PSU and get on with it. I've got a couple of old crappy things laying about. I'll have to use them. I knew one day they would come in handy for some thing.