1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

At long last my IPS screens for the Tetris machines have arrived in the country.

Now to see how many weeks it takes customs to decide if I owe them money, and how much..

At least they're closer.

Also, the McWill kit arrived today, so that's in the GBC. Both GBA and GBC are now rechargeable with li-ion batteries.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

My credit score has risen by 111, yaaaas!

The_Crapman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. liratheal

Organising the garage to make way for the next work bench addition. Which I suppose will be more of a tool box stand than anything, given the current space constraints..

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Brought home today, and in situ every bit as wonderful as I would have hoped.

Bit of a risk as I had never heard these, but had their predecessor. Disappointed I am not.

[​IMG]

jinq-sea, IanW, perplekks45 and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I hope you are as happy with those as I am with my Focal Elegias.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2020
  7. Mister_Tad

Unlikely, just can't get these to sit comfortably on my ears.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Pike Tad, Stupid Boy!

/Mainwaring

stonedsurd and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My brother has bought us a new coffee machine. Absolute hero.

Mr_Mistoffelees, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Seems like you bought them at the right time as well. B&W seem to be on the verge of a takeover by a US-based company that's already ruined---- I mean, bought Marantz, Denon, Polk Audio and others.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed,
    The hands acquire shaking,
    The shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

I have to stop caffeine intake after lunchtime, otherwise I have difficulty sleeping. For anyone who has sleep problems, it is well worth trying, I acted on my GP's advice.

13. Mister_Tad

I saw that as a good thing actually. B&W has been part of prior-to-that-unheard-of Eva Automation since 2016, itself part of a really random group of companies with no AV know-how, until a split a few months ago. This set the course of bringing a killer smart-speaker to the market, however the Formation line is far from that, and never could have been that - it's not even that it's too little, it's entirely too late.

Eva also saw the shuttering of Classe, along with Formation suggests a change in direction to more "luxury lifestyle" than high end hi-fi. Classe was rescued by Sound United, far from ruined - would be good to see them back under the same roof.

B&W has had troubles at the top according to various sources for the last few years, I think Sound United ownership will set this straight - let B&W continue to do what B&W does best, without any push to try to conquer the world.

I can't think of any examples of how they're ruined Denon, Marantz, Def Tech or Classe... or clear signs of "ruining" on my x8500. I'd like to see more differentiation from Denon & Marantz ideally, but then again that was a thing since well before the Sound United acquisition when they were D+M Group.

perplekks45 likes this.
  14. liratheal

I'm not sure they're big enough to be quite honest..

I've finally grown used to GN's "tech jesus" voice. Which means I can queue up videos and have some kind of ambient noise that is at least somewhat interesting. Unlike Fortigate training. Sweet jesus is that stuff dull.

15. Mister_Tad

Working on it. The natural progression from here would be the mega-daleks, and then subsequently a Steinway-Lyngdorf literal wall of sound.

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Those 800 D3s are supposed to be outstandingly good but, headphones are easier to accommodate on my desk...

17. liratheal

A mere 1.2m tall on the 800D's?

It might be time to start looking at the Wilson Audio offerings. A nice and healthy height of 2.1m, and a delightful 408kg per speaker for their WAMM Master Chronosonic speakers.

Although I don't know anyone rich enough to be able to tell me what they actually sound like, at somewhere in the region of $680,000 for a pair.

18. Mister_Tad

I definitely see the appeal of high-end headphones, because shiny... I just can't see that I'd use them much - I'd take my SE846/Mojo combo with me when travelling over anything bulkier any time (way back in the day, when travelling was a thing) and for my office setup, I'm know a headphone setup at the same price would trounce ultimate audio fidelity to a ridiculous level, the part about wearing it puts me off.

Wilson isn't my speed... a bit blunt instrument based on my one experience with them. I had a listen to a pair of Alexandrias (IIRC, one of the big ones) off the back a couple of mahoosive Krell Monos (maybe even MRAs?) a long time ago when I was shopping for something decidedly more pedestrian, but Midland Audio Exchange was having a quiet day so humoured me. It sounded a bit... PA to me. Great, but also really forward and in your face

Also fugly... even in comparison to the 800D3's "distinctive" looks.

Given a bottomless pit of budget, I don't think it's something I'd end up with. But then again the sort of stuff I do think I would theoretically end up with I've never heard and I'm just basing that on the things people say... so who knows? At any rate, it's an entirely paper exercise anyway.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Cost to performance ratio is a major consideration for me, also space and the fact my wife does not share my taste in music, or my liking for high volume. Closed back headphones solve everything and, the Focals are by far the most comfortable I have had, including the Beyerdynamic T5Ps I sent back to Amazon, because over a number of weeks it became clear they just didn't quite hit the spot for me.

20. liratheal

From what I read there's quite a lot of consideration needed with regards to the room as to how to configure the Wilson stuff - Not that I've ever dived too deep into looking at it. I read about a set of their speakers in an article about Henry Rollins and how/where/what he listens to. I thought they looked cool (Although.. Would prefer them in black. I think his are silver or grey or something), then the price was mentioned (His were something like $200k), at which point I laughed and stopped paying attention.

I'm definitely never going to be looking in the price bracket to find out, so yes, definitely a paper exercise.

Honestly, my home entertainment also has a huge element of "how does it look", to the point where compromise on sound is an option if there's a black box speaker versus some of the more.. Out there designs.